Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups are good for 92' Jackson Soloist Professional Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups are good for 92' Jackson Soloist Professional Pro?

Hi,

I am new here, cos' I just bought a 92' Jackson Soloist Professional Pro (Japan) - but without pickups. My plan is to build guitar I have always wanted, and now I am wondering what pickups I should buy. As you all know the Soloist I am talking about has originally HSS-confuguration (with some kind of boost). I am looking for end of the 80's American Thrash metal sound (e.g. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer...). I guess EMG 81 / 85 would be good choice, but I dont want to break the wood of the guitar body.

So, any good ideas for HSS-pickups?

Originally posted by Jaska View Post
    Hi,

I am new here, cos' I just bought a 92' Jackson Soloist Professional Pro (Japan) - but without pickups. My plan is to build guitar I have always wanted, and now I am wondering what pickups I should buy. As you all know the Soloist I am talking about has originally HSS-confuguration (with some kind of boost). I am looking for end of the 80's American Thrash metal sound (e.g. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer...). I guess EMG 81 / 85 would be good choice, but I dont want to break the wood of the guitar body.

So, any good ideas for HSS-pickups?
    They all used a hum/hum configuration for the most part from what I can remember but for that time you can't go wrong with EMG's
    http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/sin...s-81.html#info

There's the link and review comments of the set from actual buyers. Before ordering make sure to add the other components you need to make a super easy install like the solderless toggle switch.

Something else to keep in mind is while the kit comes with all the wiring and a output jack, the wires may not be long enough that come with the kit for your specific application. The usual culprit is the wire running from the output jack to your buss in the control cavity, also known as the output cable. You can measure before you order anything and make sure to get the proper length cable with your order instead of finding out after you have the pickups and are excited to get playing.

You can find those individual wires here...

http://www.emgpickups.com/parts/cables.html

I love the 81 and 85 in the bridge positions, but the 85 has that extra chunk

Hope this helps dude! Oh! and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Jackson8090s; 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Thanks!

If the 81/85 emg set is the "thing" but I have "only" HSS -guitar, how about using e.g. Seymour Duncan hot rails with emg 85 in the bridge? Does it make any sense to use so called mini-humbuckers in neck or middle position?

Comment

Seymour Duncan Blackouts HSS set or Emg HSS set will fit wit no mods. Hot rails will fit singl coil slots but cable overhangs and you need to mod the guitar to make them fit. Mixing active and passive pickups is not worth the hassle IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaska View Post
          Thanks!

If the 81/85 emg set is the "thing" but I have "only" HSS -guitar, how about using e.g. Seymour Duncan hot rails with emg 85 in the bridge? Does it make any sense to use so called mini-humbuckers in neck or middle position?
          Use EMG SLVs in the neck and middle to complement the 81 at the bridge or 85 if you want more chunk. And don't forget to include the EMG SPC midboost to replace your 2nd tone knob! I did this for my Charvel 650 Custom and it works like mad! I think all EMG ~Stratish guitars should have the SPC, especially those with singles.

I actually like the stock Jackson pickups of that era quite a bit, also. I have a '92 Soloist Pro as well, although I have kept it passive. I have the stock J50BC at the bridge, J200 stacked single at the middle, and J200R rail at the neck for a fatter lead tone. I used a superswitch to enable using on the inner coil of the rail combined with the middle single for the critical #4 position cleans. No need to change it as it sounds great!!

If I was starting with a blank slate as you are and wanted to go passive aftermarket, I'd get a Duncan Distortion for the bridge, Cool Rail for the middle and Hot Rail for the neck with superswitch.
          Or for the Dimarzio approach, a D Activator and Cruiser (m) + Chopper (n). Or for either setup, replace the bridge with the Wilde L500XL!
          Last edited by Black Shadow; 03-17-2019, 01:56 PM.
          '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
          '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
          '90 Charvel 475 XL
          '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
          Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
          Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
          Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
            Hot rails will fit singl coil slots but cable overhangs and you need to mod the guitar to make them fit.
            You can order any Duncan or DiMarzio pickup without the lip/flange on the bottom.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              You can order any Duncan or DiMarzio pickup without the lip/flange on the bottom.
              Yes that is true. Modern Hot Rail pickup doesn't have flange on the bottom. It is the cable that overhangs. Old style Hot Rails version with tape around the coils would be drop in replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post

Yes that is true. Modern Hot Rail pickup doesn't have flange on the bottom. It is the cable that overhangs. Old style Hot Rails version with tape around the coils would be drop in replacement.
                I can confirm this specifically for my '92 Soloist Pro. Even the Jackson J200R rail pickup has an issue with the lead wire, which will require routing to work.
                '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                '90 Charvel 475 XL
                '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post

Use EMG SLVs in the neck and middle to complement the 81 at the bridge or 85 if you want more chunk. And don't forget to include the EMG SPC midboost to replace your 2nd tone knob! I did this for my Charvel 650 Custom and it works like mad! I think all EMG ~Stratish guitars should have the SPC, especially those with singles.

I actually like the stock Jackson pickups of that era quite a bit, also. I have a '92 Soloist Pro as well, although I have kept it passive. I have the stock J50BC at the bridge, J200 stacked single at the middle, and J200R rail at the neck for a fatter lead tone. I used a superswitch to enable using on the inner coil of the rail combined with the middle single for the critical #4 position cleans. No need to change it as it sounds great!!

If I was starting with a blank slate as you are and wanted to go passive aftermarket, I'd get a Duncan Distortion for the bridge, Cool Rail for the middle and Hot Rail for the neck with superswitch.
                  Or for the Dimarzio approach, a D Activator and Cruiser (m) + Chopper (n). Or for either setup, replace the bridge with the Wilde L500XL!
                  I highly agree on the stock pickups. Lots of crunch! There is alot of history on them if you want to read up on it. Plus the boost is nice. I kept all my Pros with the stock pups. Love them!
                  Here is my 90 Pro
                  click

https://ibb.co/1fkn8T5
                  Last edited by Jackrippedv; 06-01-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X