(2000's) Why are the MG series cheaper than the Pro series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2000's) Why are the MG series cheaper than the Pro series

Specifically, compare the DXMG to the DK2 from the same year when they were both MIJ and the DK2 was using Duncan Designed pickups.

What features make the DXMG cheaper than the DK2.

Both have bound sharkie necks. One is HH, the other HSS.

Was the DXMG basswood and the DK2 alder/poplar?

Was there a difference in hardware quality?

Just trying to figure this out because one sells a lot cheaper than the other, but to me they seem very similar.

If you want to compare an early DK2 (that has Duncan Designed pickups) with a DXMG, it would have to be an early DXMG (that has EMG-HZ pickups, not the USA EMGs of post-2006). Minor detail that is probably not too relevant to the discussion, but worth mentioning.

The only reason that comes to mind to back up your observation is this...

In the 2000s MG Series, the DXMG was a "step down" from the DKMG.

In the 2000s Pro Series, the DK2 was the "top model". The DX10D would be a better parallel comparison to the DXMG, but the DX10D was part of the X-Series of the time, strictly speaking... and really, the DXMG would be the "X-Series" equivalent in the MG Series.

With that logic, the DXMG (a step-down MG Series model) should generally be cheaper than the DK2 (a top Pro Series Model).

Even then, my logic is weak, because I would happily buy up any Japanese Dinky near me if it was cheap and I liked it, because I consider them all "equivalent".

I took a quick skim through the E-fraid forum and noticed prices for the DXMG versus DK2 are all over the map once they meet my $300 "Deal Alert" threshold. Not enough evidence gathered on my part to suggest the DXMG is "a lot cheaper" than the DK2, although lately I do find that I'm discovering sub-$100 DXMGs and my recent memory can't recall when I last saw any sub-$100 DK2s.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I don't know the dxmg's, but I have 2 of the DKMGs an older hardtail and a newer floyd equipped. Both are hands down my favorite jackson necks. I have an x series soloist and a dk2 bof and would pick the DKs over either of them.
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Even then, my logic is weak, because I would happily buy up any Japanese Dinky near me if it was cheap and I liked it, because I consider them all "equivalent".
        I know that Jackson had them in a certain pecking order; that is not what I am after.

I'm asking is there a physical reason that a DXMG should cheaper than a DK2? Duncan Designed vs. Hz's being a preference thing and not worthy of a big $ difference. Crappier wood? Crappier hardware? Crappier electronics?

If an average Joe looks at the two, he'll notice one has an HH vs an HSS pickup route, and one has a reverse headstock; the other doesn't.

In fact, just take the necks. What makes the DXMG meck cheaper than the DK2 neck?

Comment

I can't think of any quality reasons. Given they are from the same factory (Chushin Gakki) and have the same tremolo (Takeuchi JT580LP), I'd extrapolate that the rest of the specifications and quality (wiring, fretwork, hardware, electronics & soldering, wood quality, assembly, sanding & finishing, etc.) between the two guitars are also equivalent.

The market can be funny like that with pricing, I guess. I'm stumped otherwise.

Comment

Me too. I don't know why the DXMG isn't called a DK2R or something.

Comment

OK one last thing. DXMG Pre-2006 vs Post. Were the <2006 MIJ and the 2006+ MII?, or what is the difference?

Mine has a 9775488 s/n and no "Made In XXX" sticker.

Thanks.

Comment

2006 only signified a change/upgrade in hardware/electronics. Specifically the DXMG was always made in Japan, as far as I know. Yours has a Japanese serial number. Mudlark will likely decipher it for you and give you a ballpark month/year. If you get impatient, dismantle the neck from the body and look for the date stamps, which will give precise dates.

As for the significance of 2006, it's summarized below.

MG Series guitars transitioned from EMG-HZ to active EMGs, but also lost the EMG-AB Afterburner boost (if they had one). The DXMG never came with one in the first place, so it was just pickups upgraded and nothing lost.

Pro Series guitars transitioned from Duncan Designed to Seymour Duncan, and from chrome hardware to black hardware. Some guitars like the SL3 transitioned from the JT580LP to the 1000 Series Floyd Rose.
                Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-11-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

DXMG wass basswood, DK2 was alder, I think it was always that way. All the DXMGs I tried seemed to have a slightly thinner neck than the DK2.
                  Also the DK2 came in more finish options over the years, never seen a factory DXMG in anything other than black or gun metal grey.

Comment

9775xxx should be mid 2006.
                    The early X series were Indian (DX10D), but I'm quite sure the DXMG (MG series) was never Indian.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Ok, the basswood vs. alder is a significant difference between MG and Pro.

Mine has the HZ's.

Comment

The pre-2006 DXMG was in fact MIJ with an Alder body. The post-2006 had a basswood body, and had the "stronger bassplate" under the Floyd. I would still choose a pre-2006 DXMG over any DK2.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          and had the "stronger bassplate" under the Floyd.
                          This is the first time I've heard this. Could you explain this further, or do you have any photos of this compared to a normal baseplate?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don;t have my DXMG anymore. Sold it years ago. But I definitely remember the revised baseplate of the JT580LP and the basswood replacing alder.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I remember the hardened baseplate and other 2006 revisions with the entire import line.

Comment

Working...
                              X