Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - Warrior obtained - A Little Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Warrior obtained - A Little Help Needed!

Sooooooooo..... after much deliberation, I managed to source a Jackson Warrior locally.
    Sadly, it is not the 1990's model I so badly wanted, but I was impatient, and managed to get one for about US$230.
    The seller said it was about 5 years old, and to be honest, it is in pretty good condition.

It is a gun Metal Grey metallic finish, with a fixed bridge. Yip.... I know... no whammy bar :-(
    I love me some dive-bombs!!

The neck is not as smooth or flat as my King V, bu then, no other guitar I have ever played, has a neck that thin!
    I am thinking of buying another neck for it, and fitting that, or perhaps sanding and finishing this one.
    It just feels granular and unpolished, compared to the Jackson Professional necks on my King V and Rhodes EX.

The pickups seem to be aftermarket, but there are no names on them. They are responsive, but nothing outstanding.
    I will take some more time to set the guitar up with the lighter gauge strings I prefer, and raise the bridge pickup, to allow for some super squeals!

So, now there are three Jacksons in the padock!
    Just need the Kelly (There are a couple of "Vintage" models around here)

Big Question: Are there any options for keeping the guitar in tune a little better?
    I do bend a bit, and this one is not too happy about staying in tune.
    Top Lock on a fixed Bridge just won't work, as there is no fine tuning option for that... or is there?

Any advice would help!

Just a quick question pertaining to the new guitar:

The guitar has two knobs.
    Both seem to be tone, and not volume!
    Is this right, or do I need to rip out the hardware, and rewire accordingly?

Comment

Sounds like you have a mid-late 2000's JS30WR from India. The serials are date coded. First 2 digits or first 4 digits depending on the format used are the year.

Those plastic nuts are often the issue. A bone or graphite nut could solve your problem.
      The upper knob should be the volume.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks Mudlark.
        Absolutely no serial anywhere..... and the plastic nut is absolute shite!
        Will be changing that asap!
        In fact, the little e string popped out of position, and Inhad to cut into the nut to create a deeper groove to stop it happening again.
        Bleh!
        Not the same quality as the MIJ models!
        Oh well.... I will be more patient in future purchases.
        Still looks badass!

Comment

Should be a neck plate serial unless it's a factory second/manufacturer refurbished model, or a former owner removed it.

I have a 2011 MIJ DKMGT that had a poorly cut plastic nut. I was gonna' put bone on it anyway, but occasionally the Japanese goofed up.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

If you're curious to know what aftermarket pickups they are, dismount them from the guitar and look on the underside of the baseplate for any stickers or etchings from the manufacturing company.

There are very few Warrior models out there and even fewer with fixed bridges. Like Mudlark, I instantly thought of the JS30WR, but given that you said you were aiming for a 90s Warrior (which were neckthru), I also thought you might have bought a WRXTMG (which is neckthru).

Post some photos for confirmation, or just Google-search the above mentioned models and visually compare your guitar to the search results.

Did the guitar come with a case? I'm revisiting the question I posed to you here (https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1676917) because, again, the Warrior is an odd shape, for which it is more difficult finding a case at a modest price and with ample availability.

The reason I mention this is because, in North America, USD$230 for a JS Series Jackson is extremely pricey, but the same price for an X Series Jackson is still high but not as much of a ripoff. Yes, I realize you are in Australia, and my experience is biased because I watch the North American used guitar market, so factor that into consideration accordingly (ie - ignore me if I'm unreasonable).
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-21-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

My Jackson Looks pretty much just like this one.... which is listed as a JS30WR.
              The only difference is the pickups.... this could also be the reason why both knobs are operating like Tone, and not Volume. I think it may be wired incorrectly.
              Mine are not covered, and appear to look a lot like the ceramic ones you can find on Ebay and Wish.com. with the large looking magnet heads.

The guitar did not come with a case.... I just collected it from the guy's house.

I will take closer pictures this evening, and perhaps rip the ax apart, and find some serials or manufacturer names.

As far as pricing goes: This was about as cheap as they come here.
              I have not found one at this price here.
              I love the shape, and I must be honest, it sounds pretty meaty.... in spite of the pickups being as low as they can go.
              It is louder than my King V and Rhodes, so I will play around with the pickups some time.

Comment

Thanks for confirming the model. Hey, as long as you like it, it sounds good, it plays well, and it inspires you musically, that's all that matters.

Comment

\
                  A few of my toys.

Comment

Working...
                  X