New 7 string Rhoads with Floyd Rose tuning issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 7 string Rhoads with Floyd Rose tuning issues

So I just got a new Jackson Randy Rhoads 7 string with Floyd Rose bridge, and I'm having problems keeping it in tune. After tuning it, I tighten the locking nuts back up, and most of the time it's immediately sharp (but that can be fixed with the fine tuners). Then I play a little, and find that it randomly goes out of tune. Am I not tightening the locking nuts hard enough? Too hard? Should I be messing with the bridge's springs? Or is this just a common issue with new guitars, and it just needs to be broken in a little? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

edit: I just realized the bridge isn't totally flush with the body, the back is slightly raised...is that what's causing the issues?
    Last edited by MehChill; 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM. Reason: epiphany

Welcome to the forum. You'll need to tighten the two screws on the spring claw to bring the bridge back to being level. If the screws are all the way in, you'd have to add another spring and then loosen the claw to bring the trem level from now being sunken into the cavity.

Also, after putting on new strings, make sure you stretch them well (tune to pitch, bend them/pull them up off the board, retune, restretch until they stay in tune) then lock the nut. You don't need to lock the nut too tightly or you risk stripping out the screws and will need new ones.

If all of that doesn't work, then you may have some play in the two stud posts that the bridge pivots on. You'd have to take the trem off and see if you can move the posts by hand. If they move a little, you'll probably need a little PTFE plumber's tape wrapped around the threads to keep them from wobbling.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
    X