Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i upgrade my Kelly bridge?

hi fellow sons and daughters of grover,

i have been wondering ahout something for sometime now.

some of u may know, i am a proud owner of and swear by a Grover Jackson Kelly KECU95 Made in Japan. it might be blasphemy if i say that i would rather spend money on several Japanese Kellies than one american one. but i digress..

i have been thinking a while about upgrading the bridge. some say i shouldnt some say aye. my bridfe is a Takeuchi floyd rose licensed low profile. will it eventually need to be replaced? is floyd rose original the only answer? or will a FRO also need updates. mind you also i dont knwo if 200 usd on a bridge is a worthy price. i cam do a lot with 200 usd

to tell u the truth i love w vintage vibe of my Kelly and i dont wanna change anything unless absolutely needed.

so lets put tmy kelly throuh a due process....FRO upgrade? aye or nay?
    MY GEAR
    -GROVER JACKSON KELLY KE-c.u.95 Transblack with Seymour Duncan Black Winter bridge trembucker custom and Floyd Rose Original Gold Satin custom
    -GROVER JACKSON KELLY KE-c.u.95 Transblack with EMG HZH4s and Floyd Rose Original black satin
    -FENDER STRATOCASTER AMERICAN STANDARD 2002 Black with white pickguard. All Stock.
    PEAVEY RAGE 258 25watt modelling amp solid state

The Takeuchi bridge is decent. You can always upgrade to Ofr or a Schaller floyd. I did a Schaller j590 on my Rhoads standard professional works looks great!

Comment

If it stays in tune fine I wouldn't bother. Unless you use the wammy a lot and want to do flutter tricks I could see that as a reasoon to upgrade.

Kellys are definitely the best guitar out there. I will agree with you on buying 3 imports instead of one USA.
      2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
      Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
      Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
      Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

I didn't see the need to upgrade mine, but to be honest I have it blocked because it didn't come with an arm and I don't whammy much.

Comment

no, its a good trem, keep it maintained and it should last as long as any other trem
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

decided to buy a Floyd Rose Original satin gold kit for my Grover Jackson Kelly KECU95

i wasnt sure about the nut size but i picked up the R3. was this correct?

i plan on instaling my takeuchi on a knockoff stratocaster hehheehh
            MY GEAR
            -GROVER JACKSON KELLY KE-c.u.95 Transblack with Seymour Duncan Black Winter bridge trembucker custom and Floyd Rose Original Gold Satin custom
            -GROVER JACKSON KELLY KE-c.u.95 Transblack with EMG HZH4s and Floyd Rose Original black satin
            -FENDER STRATOCASTER AMERICAN STANDARD 2002 Black with white pickguard. All Stock.
            PEAVEY RAGE 258 25watt modelling amp solid state

Comment

R3 is right, but likely too tall, you will need to take some wood of the shelf.

Comment

Better to take metal off of the nut IMO. A nut can be replaced if you make a mistake...

Comment

Takeuchi is a decent tremolo, the tuning stability is great.

But the material is not that great, just make sure you drives out any moisture (especially sweat) in the bridge after you've done playing or it will be corroded easily.

And to me is hard to find the spare parts for takeuchi rather than scahller or OFR.

I have a Jackson DK2 japan with takeuchi, and a Schaller Floyd Rose is a drop-in replacement for that guitar.
                  Here's some prove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEAtcsAH390&t=74s

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Better to take metal off of the nut IMO. A nut can be replaced if you make a mistake...
                    I thought about that, reasons I didnt
                    1, the metal is way too hard to file on, i'd still be filing lol
                    2, i would never use the original style nut again, replacement parts would be OFR sized, trying to avoid more filing lol
                    3, if i took too much off the shelf, i can shim it.

Comment

Working...
                    X