Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help identifying a Rhoads model/value

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong spot. I've had a Jackson Randy Rhoads model guitar (I don't think its an actual RR model but it is the V) since receiving it as a gift for Christmas 2001. A guitar store recently broke a part while re-stringing it. The serial number is EIGHT digits, starting with 99, which from my research leads me to believe it was made in India?
    It's got 22 frets, shark fin inlays, Floyd rose, no pick guard, one volume and one tone knob, 3 way selector switch.

Anyone able to get any info from that serial number? I'm looking for possibly a similar model or value of the guitar.

It's been my main guitar since high school, played every gig I've ever played with it, never once had a problem until these idiots broke it...and now are telling me parts for it are "hard to find"; which is understandable since the 99 in the serial number seems to denote it was made in 1999?

Having a lot of trouble finding any info or comparable guitars online.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Edit: Also reached out via the Jackson website, and they told me they have no records from anything between 2001 and 1998.

What part is broken? Depending on what it is, it might be found on http://fretsonthenet.com/ which is run by a fellow JCFer.

Photos of your guitar would help the visually-inclined like myself to definitively identify your model. I recommend signing up for an account at https://imgur.com/, uploading your photos there, and then pasting the photo links here. Photos of the broken part would also help.

Comment

Since Fender bought Jackson in 2002, they are horrible at giving you any info about guitars before then. I'm pretty sure they have the filing cabinets with the info, they're just too lazy to look through everything to help anybody and couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, what part is broken? I'd think your guitar was either Korean or Japanese, as I don't believe they were making Indian guitars that long ago.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Since Fender bought Jackson in 2002, they are horrible at giving you any info about guitars before then. I'm pretty sure they have the filing cabinets with the info, they're just too lazy to look through everything to help anybody and couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, what part is broken? I'd think your guitar was either Korean or Japanese, as I don't believe they were making Indian guitars that long ago.
        Yes reached out to Fender Jackson with sorry....no info bud....Lazy yes! They have the details!

Comment

Broken part: look where the d should be:
          Jackson broken part https://imgur.com/gallery/Zsv5tr0

Some other views:Jackson view 1 https://imgur.com/gallery/GDb1mJC
          Jackson view 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/jIwYAlf
          Jackson view 4 https://imgur.com/gallery/e1foQ9c

Comment

That's just a saddle. You can pretty much buy them anywhere.

Comment

How does a technician break a saddle when restringing? You should ask for compensation. It's not a difficult part to find, but the principle is that they broke an integral part of your guitar while it was under their care. I hope they discounted the work they did for you and offered to replace it free of charge. Otherwise, don't visit that store any more. Bunch of snakes.

Looking back at your original post, your mention of a tone knob actually threw me off. I thought your guitar is an RX10D, but with swapped pickups and a swapped bridge because I could swear RX10Ds came with Takeuchi JT580LP tremolos and not the JT-500 Schaller-like trem that's on yours.

EDIT: Never mind, after a look through all the catalogs on https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs, I saw the RX10D in the 2002 catalog with that exact trem on yours. That trem doesn't exist in other pictures of RX10Ds in other catalog years. The spec sheet says JT580LP, but that's a JT500. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt500

Your guitar is likely a 2002 RX10D. Value would be under USD$300 for the bargain hunter (often much less than this). The X Series of the 2000s decade confuses me to this day and I could swear most were Japanese but I seem to recall some exceptions to this country of manufacture, but one thing is for certain; the X Series, MG Series, and Pro Series of the 2000s are really great guitars for not a lot of money if you're a buyer. Together, they are very common on the used market in North America. They are especially prevalent on the used Canadian guitar classifieds, and I'd scoop up more of them if they were within driving distance of me. If you're a seller, good luck competing in a sea of similar X/MG/Pro Series Jacksons.
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and responses. The repair shop has not fixed it yet; i took it home while they await the parts arrival. Its a small chain called Georges music that works here in PA and in Fl. So far their service has been terrible and they only even offered to make things right after i called customer service to complain. Safe to say theyll never get another penny out of me.
                Last edited by cjschaef; 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjschaef View Post
                  Thanks for all the info and responses. The repair shop has not fixed it yet; i took it home while they await the parts arrival. Its a small chain called Georges music that works here in PA and in Fl. So far their service has been terrible and they only even offered to make things right after i called customer service to complain. Safe to say theyll never get another penny out of me.
                  I know George's. Was in Orlando Fl location few weeks ago

Comment

Look at the bottom of the broken saddle. If there is a number or dots, make sure that the replacement matches. This is how Floyd bridges deal with fretboard radius. There are 3 different height of saddles. The general idea is that numbered system (highest to lowest) is 0, 1, 2. The dot system (highest to lowest) is no dot, 1 dot, 2 dot.

Comment

1999 Indian serial. The X series was Indian up to '01 or '02. The earliest models weren't in the catalogues for some reason.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

As always, I defer to Mudlark's serial number expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          Indeed. I didn't even know Indian models were made that early.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            Me too. Lol. I actually knew this as I was going to buy an x series guitar many moons ago and learned to ID the Indian models by the crappy non logoed jt500 trem.

Comment

Ok get the new saddle and set your Floyd flush with the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X