mim dinky's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mim dinky's

Anyone own a mimDK2? I am very curious as to how they compare to the japanese DK2
    Last edited by superev1l; 01-30-2018, 08:38 PM.

I've heard far more good than bad about MIM guitars. It was, apparently, a little shaky at first.

The ebony board option and Korean FRT tremolos are a step up from MIJ specs in most people's eyes. The lack of shark fins is a step down in mine and many others opinions.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

These days ebony is a better option for guitar companies because of the whole cites stuff.

I bought a MIM Charvel a while back and the quality was ok except for the frets developed some nasty sharp fret ends after a while which is of course understandable with the finnish winter climate. Also the setup wasnt that great. I had to take a shim from under the Floyd nut to make it more playable.

Comment

I share ed's perspective- the MIM Jackson's and Charvels have been okay but the fret work has been pretty lousy. The trip from South of the Border to PA and our (at times) cold, dry winter weather fucks up a lot of otherwise passable fret work, I guess.

I've sold off all but 2 MIM Charvel DK24 SuperStocks and they both needed some work. But the necks are killer and the satin finish on the bodies is badass. I have a 2018 Charvel Pro Mod DK24 in satin black coming soon... stay tuned for more details.

Comment

That sums up the post MIJ era imports....hit and miss.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I agree about the Sharkfins. I don`t mind mini sharkfins, but we love the full sized ones. They define a Jackson.

Comment

Yup, I've sold 3 Jacksons & 2 Charvel MIM and going to trade in another soon because of the sharp fret-ends even when they been filed down (still comes back) Now my Indo Pro SL2Q, NO problems.........
              "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

If you live in a climate where the humidity can dip it's going to happen regardless.

There's literally no way around it, you can't tell me that pro players are all traveling around with perfect fret ends.

Here in Canada there is NO way around it, just live with it and you don't even notice it after awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
                  Yup, I've sold 3 Jacksons & 2 Charvel MIM and going to trade in another soon because of the sharp fret-ends even when they been filed down (still comes back) Now my Indo Pro SL2Q, NO problems.........
                  Exactly the opposite of my experience. I had a trans red SL2Q and the fret ends were so bad they were making the binding bulge out and it had cracked in several places. They were also sharp. The only long term fix would've been a complete refret as soon as I bought the guitar.Also, the neck was the wrong width at the nut (narrower than spec) and it even came with a narrower locking nut which tells me it was a systematic problem at the factory. Granted, that was from the first run and I hear the newer ones have better QC. I can't speak to it though since no shops anywhere near me actually carry them in stock.

Partially a problem because AZ is so ridiculously dry, but I bought it and it started to show these issues when I still lived in MI.

Comment

Originally posted by d4rin View Post
                    If you live in a climate where the humidity can dip it's going to happen regardless.

There's literally no way around it, you can't tell me that pro players are all traveling around with perfect fret ends.

Here in Canada there is NO way around it, just live with it and you don't even notice it after awhile.
                    I have 2 MIM's with this problem right now, but I must say none of my other guitars seem to suffer from this. Probably will only have the get the frets ends sanded once in the middle of winter and should be good long term.

Comment

Maybe they should start roasting their woods down there in the mexico plant.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                        Exactly the opposite of my experience. I had a trans red SL2Q and the fret ends were so bad they were making the binding bulge out and it had cracked in several places. They were also sharp. The only long term fix would've been a complete refret as soon as I bought the guitar.Also, the neck was the wrong width at the nut (narrower than spec) and it even came with a narrower locking nut which tells me it was a systematic problem at the factory. Granted, that was from the first run and I hear the newer ones have better QC. I can't speak to it though since no shops anywhere near me actually carry them in stock.

Partially a problem because AZ is so ridiculously dry, but I bought it and it started to show these issues when I still lived in MI.
                        EVERY other guitar that I have with a maple neck (USA's & MIJ) doesn't have this problem no matter what the climate, and I live in upstate N.Y. and I just today dumped my last Jackson MIM Dinky for an Ibanez RG550 MIJ. I'll bet it won't have that problem.............
                        Last edited by 777; 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM.
                        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Working...
                        X