looking at buying a jackson guitar serial number j008790

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at buying a jackson guitar serial number j008790

what year is this guitar based on serial number and where was it made? also how much should I pay if it turns out to have no problems and is a well playing guitar?

Is it a neck thru or bolt on?
    'Professional' headstock logo?
    It's a Japanese serial for either 1990 (neck thru) or mid '90s (bolt on with a stickered headstock serial).
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

bolt on neck not neck thru, and is it worth 450? lady wants 450 for it

how do I upload pictures? the Floyd that's on it is a jt580lp double locking is that a good one? is it anything like the one on my model 6. cuz the one that's on that never goes out of tune.

Comment

what are some things I should look for other than playabilty and making sure the neck isn't cracked or warped?

Comment

yes professional headstock logo

Comment

The JT580lp is not brilliant but its not terrible either, something like medium+ imo. It will stay in tune for a long time if it is set up correctly and in good condition.
            Last edited by Jaredio; 12-15-2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

You need to post the pics on a site such as imgur and then copy the link here.
              A pic would be helpful.
              The Schaller on the Model 6 would beat the 580 up in a fight.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Ok that’s kinda what I figured about the Floyd’s I don’t understand what u mean about trying to post pictures. Is the guitar worth 450 if it plays well and has no mechanical issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  The Schaller on the Model 6 would beat the 580 up in a fight.
                  The Model 6 uses a JT6, not a Schaller. The 650XL would have the JT590 Schaller. The JT6 is cheaper pot metal, but it's still a fine trem, just not as good as the Schaller. And the JT580LP is fine for most people.

$450 is a good price provided it's in good condition.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ahh, shit. Guess I should've checked my facts considering Charvel isn't my area of knowledge.

Pics need to be posted on a photo sharing site such as imgur, tinypic, photobucket etc., then you copy the link and post it here.
                    I'm still trying to figure out which Rhoads would have that serial. Is the serial on a sticker?

If you can't post a pic give a description of the specs.

Comment

ill post pics as soon as possible its a Kelly not a Rhodes and are you sure the model 6 doesn't have the better trem? the 650xl I thought was the cheaper version of the model six there seems to be an argument about this the model 6 was made before fender got ahold of them.

Comment

Originally posted by marc87model6 View Post
                        ill post pics as soon as possible its a Kelly not a Rhodes and are you sure the model 6 doesn't have the better trem? the 650xl I thought was the cheaper version of the model six there seems to be an argument about this the model 6 was made before fender got ahold of them.
                        The Model 6 in 1986 came with a Kahler, then with the JT6 in 1987. The 650XL was like an "upgraded" version in the early '90s.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

https://imgur.com/x8431uR

Comment

Thanks for the pic. That's a Charvel Model 6 with JT6 tremolo. The presence of the JT6 tremolo would indicate a manufacture date of 1987. http://charvelusa.com/japanese_charvel_1987.html

Model 6 is a great guitar. It, alongside the Model 5, is basically the first Japanese Soloist. For $450, that's a fair price if in great shape, no issues, etc. "Plays well" is mostly dependent on personal setup; as long as a used guitar is structurally sound with no issues, even if it plays crappy at the seller's house or at the store, I can most likely turn it into a killer player after cleaning and setup when I bring it home.
                            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I'm confused about the serial. An '87-8 Charvel neck thru had a date coded serial of C7xxxxx or C8xxxxx.
                              Perhaps the J0xxxxx was misread?

Comment

Working...
                              X