customized DK2M hot rod flame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customized DK2M hot rod flame

Earlier this year I picked up a mint white DK2M with a hard shell case off Craig’s List for a great price. As much as I love white guitars, I figured this would make a great body and neck combo for a refin idea that I had. Similar to my other projects, I shipped it off to Lee at GMW Guitarworks to have him work his magic. Lee filled the neck pickup route, tone knob and selector switch and then recapped it to turn it into a single hum/single volume body. While he was at it, he filled and redrilled the holes for the bridge posts to place the Original Floyd Rose that I sent to him. I also had Lee sand the satin finish off the back of the neck similar to what he’s done on a few of my other projects.

I told Lee that I wanted to use a hot rod flame pattern that wrapped around the sides and back of the guitar and have the flames painted in a flip flop color. Lee really liked the idea so he sent to me several color board samples of House of Kolor kameleon paint. In person those paint colors look awesome! I went with a color shift that changes from cyan to purple with a pure white base and urethane top coat. I provided Lee with an initial layout of the flames for the body and headstock and then worked with Lee and his graphic artist tweak the final rendering of the graphics. Overall I think it turned out kick ass.

Lee finished up the assembly last Friday and is shipping the guitar out today. So it looks like I’m getting an early Christmas present! Can’t wait to see this one in person as the pics don’t do justice to the color shift kameleon paint. Here’s a few pics of the process and finished guitar. Enjoy!

Last edited by Johnnyryche; 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM.

That turned out amazing!

This thread would also be a good one to link when someone asks "Does an OFR fit into a JT580LP route?" Pics illustrate that the new trem fits nicely, and the gap isn't too noticeable.

Comment

Looks great. Reminds me of the red MF special ghost flame single hum that I had briefly. Had to return it due to the neck pocket issue that so many on that run had. Nice job on yours.

Comment

So in my usual fashion I skipped to the pics and ignored the text and spent a good 30 seconds zooming in on the 2nd photo trying to figure out how in the world you filled the neck pup so well.

Comment

Man that turned out awesome.

Comment

that looks great. Might need some video so we can see that colour shift paint when you get it
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
              So in my usual fashion I skipped to the pics and ignored the text and spent a good 30 seconds zooming in on the 2nd photo trying to figure out how in the world you filled the neck pup so well.

I filled in a pickup route by cutting a piece of wood to fit tightly inside the route size, then used Bondo to fill the gaps. After sanding level you cannot tell.

Excellent quality on the refin! A fresh look for an "old" standard. I had a bullseye DK2M. Always loved those black fin necks. The flames remind me of tentacles, which gives me an idea I will never get around to.

Comment

That's a great job! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post

Not only was it filled, but a new cap was put on.

And it came out awesome!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice refin. I miss my DK2M..
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Not only was it filled, but a new cap was put on.

And it came out awesome!
                      That was the point- I could have avoided taxing my scattered brain puzzling it out if I had just read the plainly stated details

Comment

Awesome job, looks great!

Comment

Those black inlays were begging for that graphic.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That turned out amazing. The only thing I would've done differently is put the volume knob in the tone control position, but that's just personal preference.
                            I had a blue bengal DK2M and wish I hadn't sold it...

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! My DK2M arrived back from GMW late last Friday and it turned out awesome! Lee did another kick ass job on this guitar. It looks and plays amazing. As I was expecting, Lee's pics don't do it justice with the colors. Overall, from a distance, the flames have a darker green look to them. But once you get up close and see it from different angles, the colors really jump out. Here's a couple shots I took of the headstock to show how the blue/green shifts to sweet purple. I didn't have much time this weekend so these were the only pics I took of it. Hopefully with the holidays coming up, I'll have more time to really play it and snap some good pics of the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X