identify this japanese jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identify this japanese jackson

this is my first jackson. took me a while to setup compared to my strat but i think it is a great guitar.

i'm enclosing some pics of it. it is a beauty!!
    thanks,
    mikeB

Check out my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum https://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Welcome. That's a DK2.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yep. An older one with the Duncan designed pups and the super-thick chromed fine tuner jt-580. Got one of those for my brother. Plays really well.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Welcome. That's a DK2.
        i was hoping to add both quotes but guess i can't.

being new to jackson guitars, what makes it a dk2? is it a 98 as the serial would indicate? what would the relative worth be, out of curiosity.
        thanks,
        mikeB
        Last edited by muscmp; 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          Yep. An older one with the Duncan designed pups and the super-thick chromed fine tuner jt-580. Got one of those for my brother. Plays really well.
          again, i was hoping to do a multi-quote, but....
          what makes this a dk2? is it a 98 as the serial indicates?
          thanks,
          mikeB

Comment

That's a DK2 trust me The "current" ones are different models. The one you have is an older made in Japan guitar prior to them switching from the "Duncan Designed" pickups to real Duncans.

Theyre great axes. You could get them pretty cheap for a while but I've noticed them going up in price last couple years.

Google (picking a year out of the air) "1998 DK2" and hit images. You'll see your guitar looking back at you.

Comment

They're not 1998 though. These were made in Japan in the 2000s. The 9xxxxxx serial numbers often make people believe they were made in the late 1990s. Mudlark will be able to identify the date on your guitar based on the serial number.

All the specs are classic early 2000s DK2. This is one of the easiest Jackson models to identify because they were so prevalent. This is why everyone above unanimously agrees it's a DK2 without debate. And you supplied good photos without us prompting, which makes it easy for us to agree on the model.

As for value, because the DK2 and its other 2000s Japanese siblings can be easily found in Canada for CAD$300, that's my ballpark for a good deal in Canada. Depending on your country, this value may differ.

The finish is called "eerie dess swirl".

Congrats, your guitar is a fine example, and looks to be in great condition.

Comment

That's no doubt one of the many 2004-5 models that got a 98 instead of a 97 serial. If you remove the neck you'll no doubt find a date stamp indicating '04-5...I've seen a lot of these.

Generally, 9800000 began circa 2007, and 9700000 began circa 2003, but for some reason a bunch of mid 2000's models got a 98 in error. These numbers ran in sequence.

The EDS graphic was first offered in the early 2000's on the DK2. In 2006 they got black hardware and real Duncan pups.
                You can check your date stamps if you want to be certain, but from the specs you have an early 2000's to 2005 DK2.

DK2's are one of the most common models. The were made in Japan from '98-2011 and Mexico from 2012-present.

The EDS was one of the more expensive graphics. They sold new in the $6-700 range in the mid 2000's.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

NOTP: thanks for the great info. i do like the coloring with the swirl.

Comment

mudlark: and, thanks to you for the pinpoint info.
                    when you say "real duncan pups," are these not that highly thought of? they do sound really good to me.
                    so, i have a 2004 or 5 model.

Comment

I'd put my money on 2004-5, but the pocket date stamps are the only way to be certain...those numbers were quite inconsistent at times.

In 2006 they got the American made Seymour Duncans. The earlier models had Asian made Duncan Designed. Most people prefer the SD's, but plenty of people find the DD's do the job.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I love my Duncan Designed. I thought that I was going to have to replace them. No way!

Comment

I own a similarly aged DK2, in Amber Burst. Came with chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pickups. Now has black hardware and genuine Seymour Duncans. It's been my main gigging guitar for the last four years, and haven't had too many problems with it.
                          A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Working...
                          X