Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson JS32-8 Signature Model Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson JS32-8 Signature Model Complete!

My Jackson JS32-8 8 String Signature model is complete and rocking. My guitar tech has named it "The Beast" as it truly is a beast.

I bought the JS32-8 last March and have been working on it ever since. Here's the story:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/152...t-Red-8-String!

I also installed a set of Schaller strap locks.

Once I had the sting sizing issues sorted out, the biggest decision I made was on the pickups. I wanted an HSH setup so I choose the DiMarzio Ionizer HSH pickup set:

http://www.dimarzio.com/node/8103

This set of 8 string pickups were designed for Tosin Abasi so it was a safe bet. I ordered the pickups from Mike's Music in Harrisburg PA.

http://mikes-music-shop.com/

(I've been a customer of Mike's since the early 2000s and have never had an issue with any of my orders.)

Once the pickups were in, I stripped the guitar down and took the body to Brown's Guitar Mill in Newnan GA along with the center pickup. Brown's routed the center cavity for the DiMarzio single coil.

The humbucker openings are larger than what the DiMarzio Ionizers need so I put the 1 & 8 strings on to ensure that the poles lined up under the strings correctly when I direct mounted the Ionizers.

One thing I do when replacing pickups is to label the wires in the controll cavity to help me not make wiring errors

Now the hard work of wiring up the guitar can be done. The 3-way knife switch was replaced with a YM-50 5-way switch.

To fully tap the potential of the Ionizer pickups I decided to add two toggle switches and two push-pull 500k audio pots. The mini toggle switches fit nicely between the vol & tone pots but the wood is too thick there for the switches to reach the top of the guitar. Using a Fostner bit I carved out the wood so the the switch shafts would reach the top.

This was the most complicated wiring job I have ever done.

Note: The Ionizer middle pickup has three wires not two. The grey wire is the bottom plate ground. Solder the grey wire to ground.

Here's what the controls look like topside:

How the Controls Work:
    =================

The 5 way is wired normally with positions 2 & 4 coil-spliting the humbuckers - like a Steve Vai Jem.

The SPDT mini-toggle switch next to the tone knob when turned on activates the neck humbucker. So putting the 5-way in position 1 (bridge on) and turning on this switch has both humbuckers on. This is known as the David Gilmour mod. Now if you put the 5-way in position 2 (bridge & middle on) and turn on this switch, all three pickups are on. I call this switch the "neck-on switch".

The DPDT mini-toggle switch next to the volume knob will coil-split both humbuckers to single coils. Some call this a coil tap but it's not. It splits the humbucker in half by grounding out one coil. So by turning this switch on you have a Stratocaster three single coil pickup type guitar. I call this switch the "coil-split switch".

The mini-toggle switches are positioned so that down is OFF, up is ON just like a wall light switch.

Now for the push-pulls. The volume push-pull puts the neck humbucker out-of-phase. Down is normal; pull up and the neck is out of phase. To hear the effect you have to have two pickups on. It's most effective with the bridge humbucker on (5-way in position 1 & the neck-on switch on).

The tone push-pull switches the bridge humbucker from series wiring (normal) to parallel wiring. Pull up to switch to parallel wiring.

These 5 switches give an incredible range of tones from an HSH setup.

Once the body was wired, the guitar went back to Brown's Guitar Mill in Newnan GA for a bone nut and a pro set-up. Strings are .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .059, .090 tuned E B G D A E B E high to low.

So that's my 'signature' Jackson JS32-8 HSH guitar - The Beast! This is the 8 string JS32-8 that Jackson should release !
    Last edited by aoresteen; 05-10-2017, 06:11 PM.

Nice work. What is the nut made of?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Nice work! Is your E string really a 40 or was that just a typo?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Shexsay!
        `93 Jackson Dinky Professional Rev (MIJ)
        2015 Jackson JS32 DKA-M Dinky Arched Top
        2010 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White (Aging color/RR clone)

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Nice work. What is the nut made of?
          Bone.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Nice work! Is your E string really a 40 or was that just a typo?
            Typo. It should say .046 . I will correct it. Good catch, thanks!

Comment

Ok. Bone goes on my TOM guitars immediately, too.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Very cool!!! I like the way that looks, and it sounds like you have the tonal spectrum covered!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aoresteen View Post
                  Typo. It should say .046 . I will correct it. Good catch, thanks!
                  No problem. I'm always curious to see what gauges other people are running on their 8-string guitars.

Comment

If you want to tune the 8th string to F# instead of E, an .080 string works best. The .090 works best for tuning the 8th to E like Tosin does.

Comment

I typically stay in F# and use an 80 or 82. They're okay if I want to do the Drop E thing once in awhile. With my Carvin 8-string with its 27" scale, I prefer a balanced set of D'Addario NYXL or custom LaBella sets of 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 60, 80. I've got a few extra LaBella 82s laying around and sometimes use them.

I normally use 10-46 on 6-strings with a 59 or 60 for the B on my 7-strings (depending if I'm using D'Addarios or GHS Boomers).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I typically stay in F# and use an 80 or 82. They're okay if I want to do the Drop E thing once in awhile. With my Carvin 8-string with its 27" scale, I prefer a balanced set of D'Addario NYXL or custom LaBella sets of 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 60, 80. I've got a few extra LaBella 82s laying around and sometimes use them.

I normally use 10-46 on 6-strings with a 59 or 60 for the B on my 7-strings (depending if I'm using D'Addarios or GHS Boomers).
                        I'm a 10-46 guy as well. For my 7 strings I add a 59 or just buy the 10-59 D'Addario set. For my 8 I just add the 90 . I need to spend more time with an 80 for the 8th as a F#. So far I just like the 90 E better.

Comment

Case Update:

I can confirm that the Gator Case SKU GAT-GCELECXL extra long guitar fits the Jackson JS32-8.

I have a photo but Photobucket seems to be down right now. Will post one later.

Comment

Here's the Gator case:

It works well.

Comment

That looks great! Lots of tonal options on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X