Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project idea. What can I expect from an X series Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project idea. What can I expect from an X series Soloist?

Hey guys,

I've owned a Japanese made DK-2 for 15 years now. It's a 2002 TB model with a flame maple top, and it's my pride and joy.

Lately, though, I've been fighting off a bad case of GAS, pertaining to a very lovely piece of design given to me by a fan. A Finnish modern artist gave me this Telecaster body:

I've been toying with the idea of making a vinyl decal of this image, and wrapping a donor guitar with the artwork, so I can play shows and make Youtube videos with this artwork guitar, in homage to this frankly amazing piece of original art which was given to me.

In order to do that, I need a 'base guitar' to strip, wrap, and then play. It should not be too expensive, but it still has to be basically a decent quality instrument - nothing from the bottom of the bargain bin.

Coming from the DK-2, I want it to be a Jackson. I've recently been looking at the SLX series Soloist. Made in Indonesia, same basic Dinky shape, available in a black finish which should be easiest to wrap, and not terribly expensive in absolute terms. It seems to be in the same general ball park, in terms of where in the range it sits, compared to my Dinky, but I'm interested in hearing from people who have played them, and the Japanese models, to see if it's better, worse, or the same, and how.

What can I expect in terms of sound and playability from it? Would it be suitable as a donor guitar for a project like this? Is it too good to ruin? Is it such a bargain piece of junk that its fretboard is unplayable? Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread? How will I react coming from my MIJ Dinky?

I would appreciate some help.
    - Andi Kravljaca -

I've had an SLXT for several years now. Very happy with how it plays. The neck flattens out where it joins the body so it feels a little different than my USA soloists. I've played a few of the newer SLX models and didn't notice it as much as my older model. So I don't think you'll be disappointed if you use it for a wrap project. And having just wrapped a guitar for the first time, I found the process pretty easy to do if you take your time. Obviously it will be a little more work trimming around the neck as opposed to a bolt-on body and being able to cut along the inside of the neck route. But I wouldn't have any issues using an SLX for a project like that. Overall it's a very decent guitar for that money.

Comment

I've never played one, but I've heard enough good to recommend one.

I recently picked up a JS, X series, and Dinky pro series at my biggest retailer to see how they felt. None of them had the nut seated low enough for me.
      .10mm is considered by many to be the ideal distance between the first fret and strings, these guitars were .20-30 in my opinion.

Out of all of them, a pink SL3X felt the best.

Unfortunately, I can only say what I always say: guitars need to be judged individually. 10 guys will love theirs, then someone will get a lemon.

Try one out, or make sure there's a return policy for online shopping. Keep in mind, I'd say the same thing about the JS and Pro series, too.

Side note: A guy recently asked Fender customer service about the year/model/country of manufacture of a first generation 2011 Indian SLX. Fender told him they weren't sure what it was, but the level of quality was high, so it must've been a pre-Fender Japanese made guitar.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I played a yellow one from a few years back for a couple of hours, it was incredible. Even the DD pups sounded good, neck was the usual Jackson sexual experience, flawless fit & finish, stable trem, great value.
        As said, there's still the chance of a crap one but if you can try first & find no issues, go for it.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, I'm thrilled to hear about the relative quality of the guitar. One never knows with imports, but it looks like it may well be money well spent.

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
          And having just wrapped a guitar for the first time, I found the process pretty easy to do if you take your time.
          Now this I can't resist asking more about. Do you have pictures? Is there a project thread on here about the stages of it? Would you mind describing some of the pitfalls and challenges? How is the finished product in your opinion?
          - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Some earlier threads on X Series Soloists:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/151...eries-Soloist?

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...n-SLX-Soloist?

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...-SL3X-Soloist?

Comment

Originally posted by GryphonGuitar View Post
              Thanks a lot guys, I'm thrilled to hear about the relative quality of the guitar. One never knows with imports, but it looks like it may well be money well spent.

Now this I can't resist asking more about. Do you have pictures? Is there a project thread on here about the stages of it? Would you mind describing some of the pitfalls and challenges? How is the finished product in your opinion?
              Here you go. Check out this thread about guitar wraps. It's got my project in it along with a few other members' projects and comments about wraps. If you have any specific questions on the process, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Comment

Well, guys, I've gone ahead and done it.

I ended up going a slightly different route. I figured, I already have a great playing Jackson 6 string, so what would this new guitar add in terms of playability and expanded musical value? For that reason, I decided to (as I am a metal player) finally get a 7 string, and the new Pro Series Soloist SL7 model caught my eye. I found one at a great price, and have ordered it now:

It's got a satin black finish which will look good in combination with the decal, I'm sure, and is a high enough quality guitar that I shouldn't feel any ill effects transitioning from my MIJ DK2, I'm sure. I can't wait to join the Soloist club and see just how good the new Pro series guitars are!
                - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Awesome man, congrats on the new guitar! They look really nice but I haven't gotten to check one out. I hope you like it.

Keep us posted on the decal process!
                  I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Good choice, a nicer guitar than an X Series. I find that SL7 very appealing myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X