Acquired a JDR-94 Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquired a JDR-94 Concept

I went to see a guitar I saw Craigslist yesterday, and the old woman who owned it also brought along this Jackson JDR-94. As part of a package deal of two guitars, I got the Jackson for $150. It doesn't have a single scratch, and it a really nice red/orange color. It also came with the (I think orginal) Jackson Charvel hard case. Can anyone tell me anything about this guitar? Did I get a good deal?

I am not familiar with Jackson guitars, so I am not sure where this falls on the spectrum of low-end to high-end.

http://imgur.com/a/NtNYd

Thanks in advance for any comments that can shed some light on my purchase. There doesn't seem to be too much out there on the net.

Not low low end, kinda mid level. MIJ $399 new(I bought one new). The neck on mine warped but it was knocked into a coffee table at the nut.(ugh).

Comment

Right on thanks for the info. I dropped it off for a setup today. I'll play it when I get it back and decide if it is for me or not.

Comment

Japan was known for making very solid guitars, especially the early-mid '90s era, but also right up to the 2011 stoppage of production.
        Those were released Christmas '93 and sold throughout '94. Serials are 93xxxxx and 94xxxxx.

That looks to be in near-unplayed condition and that colour isn't seen as often as black. It looks fabulous to me. That's a great find at a great price considering condition.

In my opinion it wouldn't be unreasonable to put a $3-400 value on it in that condition with a case. With used Pro series models selling in the same price range 3-400 may seem excessive to some, but those guitars have huge potential and punch above their weight.

If there was one weak point it'd be the JT500 tremolo. They don't have a great reputation, but don't let that bring you down.
        It may be all the trem you need and lot's of folks have no serious issues with theirs even to this day.
        A Schaller Floyd is a direct replacement if you wanted to upgrade down the road.

Check out the '94-5 catalogues for the specs.
        http://jacksonguitars.com/support/catalogs/
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I have two JDR 94 Concepts, as well as a JSX 94. All are very good guitars that I enjoy playing. I replaced the pickups with Dimarzios, set them up proper, and they rock. You got a great deal at $150.00.

Comment

Thanks so much for this amazing response! This one does indeed have a 93xxxxx serial. Those old catalogs are great to look at by the way! I'll definitely think about the tremolo replacement down the line. While I have owned several guitars, I have never until now had one with a tremolo, so it is something I will have to learn to use anyway. Again, thanks a lot for the insight into this guitar!

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            Japan was known for making very solid guitars, especially the early-mid '90s era, but also right up to the 2011 stoppage of production.
            Those were released Christmas '93 and sold throughout '94. Serials are 93xxxxx and 94xxxxx.

That looks to be in near-unplayed condition and that colour isn't seen as often as black. It looks fabulous to me. That's a great find at a great price considering condition.

In my opinion it wouldn't be unreasonable to put a $3-400 value on it in that condition with a case. With used Pro series models selling in the same price range 3-400 may seem excessive to some, but those guitars have huge potential and punch above their weight.

If there was one weak point it'd be the JT500 tremolo. They don't have a great reputation, but don't let that bring you down.
            It may be all the trem you need and lot's of folks have no serious issues with theirs even to this day.
            A Schaller Floyd is a direct replacement if you wanted to upgrade down the road.

Comment

Damn, the guitar and case both look mint. Congratulations. Japanese Jackson with original case for $150? Yes please.

What was the other guitar you bought?
              Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

The other guitar I bought was a 2007 Gibson SG Standard Cherry. Sold it the same day I bought it. Easy money when you know things are underpriced.
                Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Damn, the guitar and case book look mint. Congratulations. Japanese Jackson with original case for $150? Yes please.

What was the other guitar you bought?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post

agree with all of this. I can't believe you got that for 150! I just bought a beat up one for 175 no case so that's a screaming deal. The early MIJ jacksons are amazing quality to price ratio. I have two concepts and they both play amazing and I love the necks. Cheers on a good score!

Comment

Working...
                  X