Minor JT580LP Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor JT580LP Problem

I bought myself a Dinky DK2 recently and absolutely love it. The angled saddles on the JT580LP was a little weird at first but now palm muting is second nature.

I am having a minor issue with it though. When I use the trem to go down in pitch most strings go very slightly flat (like less than a quarter of a semitone) but then if I pull up on the bar everything is back in tune again. I've owned a floyd rose before and never had any problems, in fact that trem was a JT500 so you'd think this one would be even better.

EDIT: Oh whoops. Just realised this is probably in the wrong section. Sorry! I don't know how to move or delete it.
    Last edited by Milpool; 04-21-2017, 02:43 AM.

When you install fresh strings, are you stretching them adequately? I stretch mine almost obsessively (way more than the brief gentle "tug" that I see people on Youtube demonstrating) and I still find that it takes a bit of time for fresh strings to stabilize and "settle".

What is the condition of the knife edges and trem posts? Are the knife edges properly seated in the slots of the trem posts?

Are the tremolo springs still "springy" (exert adequate tension) or are they old and stretched out?

Are the saddle lock blocks snug (but not overly tight)?

Is the locking nut snug (but not overly tight)?

Comment

X2 on knife edges and post.

Comment

Okay, so stupidly I actually didn't stretch the strings much at all (I usually do with hardtail guitars and just didn't think this time) and I found that I had not tightened some of the lock blocks enough; the g string in particular was way too loose. The locking nut is fine though.

The springs look fine to me but I'm not real sure what to look for so I took a picture:

The knife edges seem good to me but I haven't pulled it all apart to have a proper look. I'll tighten everything up and stretch the strings a bit more and see how it all goes first.

Comment

I usually tune all the strings pretty high (pretty random, no exactness), then back them off. If I don't then for every session I have to fully retune because my fine tuners will be bottomed out. With this method by the time my tuners are bottomed out it's time for a string change. Idk how anyone else does it, I assumed something similar.

Also, I've found the G string string block (or screw.. something) slips some in all 3 regular jt580lp's I have, some more than others. The takeuchi jt580lp I have doesn't have the same issue. One of the reasons why it's stayed in my dk2m even though the hardware doesn't match.
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Well re-tightening everything and doing some proper string stretches fixed the issue. Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm so glad it wasn't the knife edges haha.

Comment

Working...
            X