Performers MIK/MIJ...which was 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performers MIK/MIJ...which was 1st?

There's been debate on the subject for sure. The serial thread on this forum suggests 1998 was the first year for MIJ and I tend to agree between '96-8 somewhere is correct. I've never seen a MIJ serial for 1995 (Performers 1st year) nor have I seen a MIJ date stamp earlier than '98 that I can recall. I've seen '98-2000 MIJ stamps and serials often. 2000 was the final year in the catalogues for the series.

Today I clued into something. The '95-'97 catalogues feature the widely spaced Korean dots on the board. The first pic of the narrow MIJ dots is the '98 catalogue.

I feel this confirms Korea was first, though the year of change is still up in the air since it's possible they used old pics for the '96-7 catalogues even though they may have been MIJ at that point.
    Last edited by Mudlark; 03-06-2017, 03:46 PM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Pretty sure i got my PS-3 in 96 and thats Korean.

Comment

It's a bit odd as the Performers were born out of the Concept line, which were all MIJ.
      -Rick

Comment

I surmise the move was for cost cutting reasons.
        I have a hard time deciding between '97 and '98.
        Last edited by Mudlark; 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I've always been told that Performers started in Japan. Then moved to Korea. Then came back to Japan.

Comment

If you look at the 1995 catalog, the Performers are clearly Korean spec. Wide dots and all.
            http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...es_catalog.pdf

Just odd that they would build them there after the Concept line was all MIJ.
            -Rick

Comment

I heard of guys swearing up and down the guitar they bought in '95-6 was Japanese. They'd get fighting mad about it.
              But, I can think of no reason for using those wide dots in the early catalogues if they were MIJ.

I've learnt to never say never, but this seems pretty solid.

Comment

I was one of those guys at one point.
                But when you take into consideration that necks and plates can be swapped, it's easy to get confused with a used guitar.
                -Rick

Comment

Mines still all original, neck plate, serial and all. Sadly no sticker/print of country of origin but wide dots and Korean serial. Can/will post pics if needed but meh, its a Korean PS-3 from 96, dime a dozen, nothing thats not been seen a thousand times before.

Comment

I once owned a long time ago a MIJ Performer Fusion. Wish I still had it. I think it was the EX or something. Had the pickguard on it. It played and sounded fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                    X