Kelly KE3 Lynch Kami III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly KE3 Lynch Kami III

Been a fan of George Lynch and his Kamikazes for years. I’ve been wanting to try out an ESP Kami but just hasn’t been one of my top priorities. When I saw George playing a star version of Kami I, I thought the graphic would also look cool on a Kelly. So I ended up finding a used KE3 for $250 that was in great shape, came loaded with Seymour Duncans and had black hardware. Best part was the seller was in LA and he dropped the Kelly off at GMW for me.

My preference is single hum guitars. So I had Lee fill the route for the neck pickup and selector switch and retop the guitar to turn it into a single hum KE3. I found a seller on Ebay from Japan that was selling reproduction stickers of the kamikaze pilot. So I ordered 2 and sent them to GMW. Lee used one as a test and applied it to a board and top coated it with urethane to make sure the ink wouldn’t run or react with the top coat. Once we knew the sticker was usable, I then I worked out a color scheme with Lee using a pearl white base coat with pearl black, silver and tan camo marks. I sketched out the graphic for the front and headstock following the original graphic layout on Lynch’s ESP. The graphic artist that Lee used followed by sketch pretty closely. I gave him free reign to extend the graphic over the sides and onto the back. I always thought the ESP version should have the graphic wrap the whole body rather than just the face and sides so I did the full body graphic.

The Kelly has a urethane top coat to keep the white as bright as possible. So the paint work got finished up before New Years but the urethan top coat has been curing since. It just got buffed and assembled this week and is headed my way. Looking forward to seeing this one in person! The pics look great but I imagine it’s even better in person with the sparkles in the pearl white and pearl black.

Here’s a few progress pics along with my sketches of the graphic and the ESP version so you can see how they match up. Enjoy!

Here's what I started with and how it looked after GMW modified the body to remove the neck pickup route and spray the pearl white base coat.

Here's my sketch for the headstock and how it turned out.

Here's my sketch of the body and how it turned out.

Looks great. Much better graphic than the original.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      Looks great. Much better graphic than the original.
      +1. Looks amazing!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

That's awesome. Nice mashup!
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

That is badass! As one who designs (re)finishes, I find this very satisfying. Have long contemplated doing a neon Kami or sub camo treatment as one of my refinish concepts. Congrats!

Comment

Heh, I had no idea the KE3 even came in the COW-type camo finish in stock form! Love the Lynch refin! You've done several refins that have caught my eye already!

What year is your KE3? Reason I ask is that mine is 2009 and has the same neckplate and strap button layout, but has a San Dimas control route instead of your pill-shaped route. My old mid-1990s KE3 had the pill-shaped route, but the strap button was over the area where the neckplate would be (and there was no neckplate).

Comment

Great job! Looks amazing!

Comment

Wicked

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Wow, nailed that one. NIce work!

Comment

That is badass! I agree that the ESP's should have the graphic all over instead of just the top.

Comment

That looks great! I don't think I've seen those camo KE3's before... not that I can remember.
                          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                          X