Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I avoid a Kelly JK20 made in India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I avoid a Kelly JK20 made in India?

I am seriously considering a 1999 Jackson Kelly JK20 for $300. Are Made in India Jacksons any good or to be avoided?

Also, what "series" is a JK20?

I dunno but that sounds rather high. Maybe a JS series? Try to find a similar model with an ebay search, then do a sold listings search to see what a reasonable price should be.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'm with xenophobe, sounds a bit high? I have a JS30 Kelly made in India, decent guitar and when I got it, it was the only option to get a Kelly with a fixed bridge except going Custom shop.

Do you have pics of the guitar so we can help? Does it have the stock pickups? But 300$ sounds expensive when you can get a brand new JS32 for 270$us.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Assuming there are no upgrades on that guitar, that price is way too high. Get a new JS32T. Don't buy a low end, old, MII guitar with a tremolo unless you absolutely want a trem. You might even be able to find a used MIJ Kelly for that money or close to that.

Older MII Jacksons ranged from "decent" to "meh" but it is a crapshoot. Don't ever buy one without playing it first, that should go without saying. That means play the guitar you are thinking of bying itself, not just an identical model. All that said, I hear that the modern MII Jacksons are markedly better than older models.

Comment

Should you avoid the model - NO.
          Should you avoid it at that price - YES.

Comment

They were a Musicians Friend run. I agree the price is too much considering $300 will get you a MIJ model in most used markets.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yeah, go find a Made in Japan KE3 for that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                Yeah, go find a Made in Japan KE3 for that kind of money.
                +1!!!
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I expect the series would be similar to the X series of that era. JT500 tremolo, made in India.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Well, I went ahead and got it for $300 and kind of feel like I made a mistake. It's in pretty good condition for a 1999 model. It is a JK20 with the single volume pot and three-way switch with tremolo.

So, that is a JT500 tremolo in it? Would an Original Floyd Rose replace the JT500 or are the bushings and/or route not the correct dimensions?

Should I try selling this and just get another guitar?

Comment

Eight people told you that the price was too high. You didn't listen. Should we answer the next round of questions just to have you not listen again?

Dude, you bought the guitar. You paid too much. You might as well play the damn thing because you will probably never find another sucker to pay that much for it.
                      Unless, of course, you have money to burn and don't mind paying $300 for a guitar that you will sell for $150-200 a week later. Then, in that case, yes, sure, go ahead and sell it.

Comment

I don't think an Original Floyd will fit, but a Schaller or a used Jackson JT590 which came on older imports/USA's will fit.

Not to rub it in, but reselling won't be easy, getting $300 will be harder. There are pro series Japanese DK2's, KE3's, RR3's and on and on for $300, even less, everyday in most areas.
                        Saw a DK2 with real Duncans for $200 and a DKMGT with EMG's for $150 this weekend. Both with a hard case. THAT'S the competition in many/most markets today.

Play it and see what it needs, then take it from there. If the trem is a bitch, block it if you can live without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                          They were a Musicians Friend run. I agree the price is too much considering $300 will get you a MIJ model in most used markets.
                          I bought one new for my nephew when they came out, it was only 349.00 new with hard case.
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Why not return the guitar to the store where you bought it? Or did you buy it in a private sale?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                              I bought one new for my nephew when they came out, it was only 349.00 new with hard case.
                              Yeah, I think I read the $349 in an old thread...possibly your comment.

btw...I think I've met the original poster this weekend on a Jackson facebook page...the Powell, Ohio sounds familiar.

Pretty sure this was a private sale, NOTP.

Comment

Working...
                              X