Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID Help: King V "X" series and "Pro" series had a baby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID Help: King V "X" series and "Pro" series had a baby?

So I bough what I thought was a King V KVXMG model..

This guitar arrives and it has the pickup rings around the EMG's like an X series, Painted backside of neck like an X series but the board is ebony?
    The previous owner upgraded the Bridge so I don't know what model it originally left the factory with. (It has a "1984 Orginal Floyd Rose" model on it now)

I'm assuming ebony is not an option for the X series so what gives?

John 3:16

Fretboard looks coarser than ebony should be. I think it is an indonesian made KVXMG with naturally dark or perhaps dyed rosewood fretboard.
    My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

I was under the impression the later Indo KV neckthroughs had ebony? My KVMG certainly has it.

Pickup rings can easily be added to direct-mount setups.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That is almost certainly rosewood with a stain/dye IMO. My ebony boards never shine like that close up pic of the board. It has a gloss appearance.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The grain looks more like rosewood than ebony.

What I want to know is how the previous owner successfully dyed the rosewood to look like ebony. I had a failed attempt here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...wood-fretboard Because that King V dye job turned out well, pretty much exactly the way I wanted mine to, and I'm a little jealous.

Comment

That's a factory dye job. It may also be striped ebony, which was used on the JacksonStars models, and has a grain pattern similar to rosewood. My NASLs have it, and one looks almost that shiny (though certainly not reflective, but glossy-ish).
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was hunting around the web today and found a link on the Gear Page where a guy was talking about the early X series (a Soloist in this instance) having a REAL dark board. So maybe Jackson early on was trying to make them look like ebony?

Comment

Whatever it is, it looks really damn good.

jacksonluvr, are you able to shoot more closeups of various areas of the fretboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  Whatever it is, it looks really damn good.

jacksonluvr, are you able to shoot more closeups of various areas of the fretboard?
                  I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow..

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonluvr View Post
                    I was hunting around the web today and found a link on the Gear Page where a guy was talking about the early X series (a Soloist in this instance) having a REAL dark board. So maybe Jackson early on was trying to make them look like ebony?
                    Here are my early (Made in India/2011, 2012) RRXMGs.

Both are obviously modified and black ones fretboard is dyed with Fiebings leather dye. As you can see those fretboards were brownish/reddish.
                    My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      That's a factory dye job. It may also be striped ebony, which was used on the JacksonStars models, and has a grain pattern similar to rosewood. My NASLs have it, and one looks almost that shiny (though certainly not reflective, but glossy-ish).
                      Sounds similar to my '08 RR24 (MIJ). Is there a record of the kinds of ebony Jackson has used?

Comment

Both Harmony (India) and Wildwood (Indonesia) used very dark rosewood for the X Series they made. The blade switch would also indicate X Series as the Pro KVs tend to come with toggle switches.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                          Both Harmony (India) and Wildwood (Indonesia) used very dark rosewood for the X Series they made. The blade switch would also indicate X Series as the Pro KVs tend to come with toggle switches.
                          I believe the "Pro" series also have a raw-oiled neck.. no paint on the back side of the neck.

Comment

Working...
                          X