Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with specifications of a professional dinky rev

Hello everybody,

I am new here and new to jackson guitars as well. I just bought a Jackson professional dinky rev and would like to know more about it. I know by the SN that is a MIJ from 1994 (according to the FAQ here in the forum), but I have no idea about what kind of body wood does it has and how good is the building quality of this guitars in general (electronics, tuners, ....)

Mine is in pretty good condition, it is just missing the FR bar and one of the tuners is missing the cover. Everything else looks good. I bought it without knowing much about the guitar just because of the Seymour Duncan PU's (which I also would like to know if they are original on this guitar and which type would they be). The PU's alone would cost as much as the guitar so I bought it.

Any information will be appreciated.

Here some photos

https://goo.gl/photos/PTnWMctK8gxYyKqV8

Thank you
    Last edited by Giba; 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM.

Specs here: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ries_1990-1995

Your bridge is the version of the Takeuchi JT-580LP with the square baseplate, as opposed to a baseplate with angled corners.

Duncans are not original. You'll have to unscrew them from the body and look on the underside for labels. You might see labels that resemble these: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...=1#post1650078

Your bridge pickup is not the "trembucker" version and is instead the standard-spaced version. But that's really more of a visual thing so that the polepieces are spaced wide enough to align with all six strings.

My guess is you paid somewhere between USD$100 to USD$200 for the guitar? If so, not too bad at all! Did it come with a case?

This era of Japanese Jacksons is quite well regarded. The best and most desired of the 1990s Professional Series were the ones we affectionately call "Professional Pros" and rival Jackson USA quality, and were most easily identified with truss rod covers that had Soloist Pro, Rhoads Pro, etc. on them (though I think some of the Professional Pros didn't have "Pro" truss rod covers). Everything else is still very solid and yours should be no exception.

You'll see lots of photos of the Professional Pros here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/859...highlight=pros
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-03-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all this information!

unfortunatelly no, it was just the guitar. I oppened the back to see the FR tremolo and figure out why the guy did not have the bar. It is because he never used it, the FR it is blocked.
      The bad news is that I bought the guitar also because I wanted to try the FR bridge and as it is blocked and without the bar I don't know if I will relly free it. The good news is that the block service is well made (put some photos in the same album from the guitar) which means that he knew what he was doing or he payed someone who did and probably the electronics where changed by the same person.

Regarding the price you are right, 100 US$ was what I payed for it.

Question, there is a Jackson concept JDR-94 in mint condition with the original case in my area for 170 US$, Is it a great deal that I should not let pass or just regular price?
      Last edited by Giba; 08-03-2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Correct, a '94. Build quality should be very good. They were made in the same factory as the top end Pros.

Tuners may be Gotoh of Japan. Remove one and see if it's stamped 'Japan' inside.

Those guitars can easily fetch $3-400 in great condition.

A '93-'94 Concept was built in the same factory as the Professional. The JT500 tremolo would be its weakest point. They're listed ,with specs, on the list of Pros NOTP sent you earlier. That's a good price. I'd say $250-300 in mint shape without case would be a fair price.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Your bridge is the version of the Takeuchi JT-580LP with the square baseplate, as opposed to a baseplate with angled corners.
          Correct. And those square baseplate models were only available in 1994. I also had a '94 DR, deep metallic purple with square baseplate.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great price. Looking at the photos again, the guitar itself looks to have no obvious damage either.

You can likely reverse the blocked tremolo but it might take some work. It does look well done and the owner definitely went to great lengths to ensure lots of coupling between the sustain block and the body in multiple places. I've never seen someone go to that extent to completely freeze a tremolo. He really didn't want that tremolo to move at all.

I would remove the strings, then remove the tremolo springs, then unscrew that clear plastic plate being held by the two Phillips screws, then figure out how to dismantle everything else about the tremolo blocks. While the guitar is being taken apart, it would be a convenient time to unscrew the pickups and verify the labels on the underside.

You just need to find an appropriate tremolo bar. I'm not an expert on the minute differences between the various types of Floyd Rose bars so I'll leave that up to someone else to provide you with links to compatible ones. Obviously a bar from a JT580LP would be "correct" but other bars may also fit and perform the same.

Comment

I used the bar combo from StewMac on my JT580 original and it was a direct swap.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...loyd_Rose.html

Comment

Nice guitar Giba.

I have 2 Dinky revs from around 94 myself, one with a maple board and one with a rosewood board. If I found another one for a price of $100 (or Euro monies where I am) I would have great difficulty not buying it, I love these guitars.

Comment

Hello all,

thanks agains for the help on this. I guess the JDR-94 was a good deal as it was gone in 1 day.

Anyway, I am happy with my Dinky and start to understand why you guys like them so much. On the weekend I will try to clean it properly, put new strings and have a look at the PU's.

You can likely reverse the blocked tremolo but it might take some work.
                  I don't think I will do it. It seems well done and I do like a hard tail (as I metion I wanted to try the FR), having to find a new bar and all the work and risk of screwing it up I think I prefer to wait and buy another guitar with FR later.

If I found another one for a price of $100 (or Euro monies where I am)
                  I am also in Europe, more precisely in Germany (the 100 US$ was a convertion of the 90 Euros that I payed for it). I also have a hard time to let this offers go. (I have 8 guitars now and I am still learning!)

Comment

@Giba : no waaayyyyy! I'm in Austria and I keep on seeing mad fools in Vienna thinking they can get €400 for Dinky Rev's, for example:
                    https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-...rre-166036371/

Comment

@Elrrek: Cool! Do you know where I cold get jackson tuners to substitute the one that has no cover?

Regarding the ad. Well, there are offers like this here too.
                      I think it does no harm. I have a Steinberger Synapse Demon Transcale like this ( https://www.amazon.com/Steinberger-S.../dp/B0017KRCA8 ) in mint condition that I am thinking about putting to sell. Just because I don't use it as much as I thought I would and I need to sell some guitars now. But I like it a lot and would not sell it for cheap. I will probably offer it for 8-900 Euros and if no one wants it for this price I just keep it. As I said I like the guitar a lot and have not decided if I really want to sell it as it is almost impossible to find one in Europe now days. That is maybe the case of the ad that you sent.
                      Last edited by Giba; 08-05-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks again for the help.
                        Now an update.
                        I decided not to unlock the FR as the guitar is playing and sounding really nice the way it is and wait until I find another FR guitar to buy. So far I did not even changed the strings on it because I an enjoying that much to play the guitar the way it is.
                        The tuner that has no cover is bodering me a bit and I would like to find a Jackson tuner to substitute it. I found some on e-bay, but they are all in USA and the sending costs are as high as the price of the tuners it self. Do any of you know where I cold get them in Europe or which other tuners would fit without any modification?

Comment

Try Gotoh of Japan. They make the Jackson tuners used on USA models and wouldn't require mods if you get the right tuner style. Not sure where to get them in Europe. Thomann?
                          If money isn't a problem I'd just bite the bullet and order from the US.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Had a look on ebay here. The Gotoh should work and they are cheaper and of a good quality. For now I will leave like this, if later I really want to change them I will go with the Gotoh ones.
                            Thanks for the tip.
                            Last edited by Giba; 08-19-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, I enjoyed so much the Dinky that I sold a Squier and An Amp. and start to look for a jackson with the FR properly working. Found another Dinky, this time it was not as cheap as the first one, but it is in a very good condition (Photos on the same album of the first one). It is a HSS and also fully loaded with Seymour Duncan PUs.
                              It is a Dink MIJ, but I am not sure about the model, by the flamed top (according to the link from @Number Of the Priest) it is a Dinky XL. The photos are not good as the light was bad, but the flamed top looks awsome, really happy with the 2 dinkys.

Comment

Working...
                              X