Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD & pics: 2000s? Japanese Jackson Pro Series KE3 Kelly (almost like my old one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another KE3 with binding and black hardware, but swapped pickups: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/fort-m...ationFlag=true

Could be another KE3/DK2S mutt.

Comment

All Pro series guitars should've had binding in my opinion.

My list of 96,97 and 98 Japanese serials are written in pen on a tiny piece of ragged, torn paper and is about 4 years old. There are only a couple dozen or so numbers purposely picked to give me a pretty good coverage of Jan-Dec of each year. I've never made them public even though I've been called a dick for not doing it. I've put a lot of time into gathering them...only numbers confirmed with date stamps are useful.

I enjoy dating folks guitars on the forums...it's my only pastime on the computer, actually. If I made them public I'd lose all my fun.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Man, I'd love to know the serial on that green KE3. Could be another '09-'10. One of these days I'd love to know if they were purposely made that way. The stamps are so crucial to knowing, but most people won't remove their necks.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'm sure someone intrepid could probably reverse engineer your work based on your post history, but we're all lazy, so please don't get hit by a truck because we need you.

If we see more bound KE3s, our little origin story about them being mutts might actually hold water.

Comment

The serial information at the beginning of this thread needs to be updated. Some older formats aren't mentioned, nor are the current Mexican, Indonesian and Chinese numbers. There're a couple sections that are confusing and mislead some people. I hope to take that task on someday when I have time and energy.
            If I do, I plan to add a 'skeleton' list. Something like 9600000-9699999= 1996-2003ish. 9700000-9799999= 2003ish-2007ish. 9800000- 985xxxx=2007ish to 2011...end of Japanese production. That may take away the VERY common misconception that '96 means 1996, 97 means 1997 etc. Though, sometimes 96 and 97 DOES mean '96 and '97. Confusing stuff.

Many of my numbers came from this very thread. The earlier work the guys did before me contains quite a few serials confirmed by date stamps.

Mutt? Hell, if I see anymore '09-'10 KE3's or RR3's with binding I'm sticking to my theory they were made at the factory that way.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but are you aware many examples of mixed-model necks and bodies came from the factory that way?
            A number of original owners have opened up their guitars to find the neck and body have different models stamped. There's still the chance your KE3 is factory made. Whether purposely made or mistakenly made at the factory is another question.

Until I find the elusive bound KE3 or RR3 with matching neck/body model stamps I'll be plagued with curiosity.

They could be owner-made mutts. Could be a mistake at the factory. Could be purposely factory made. :dunno:

Comment

I got lost. I meant the serial info at the beginning of the serial thread, not this thread.

Comment

I only started disassembling necks from bodies this year when I wanted to clean my newly-acquired Model 1C. I was one of those people who was afraid to remove necks for 15 years. So this KE3 is the first real "mismatch" I've seen/owned, aside from owner-made mutts.

If many examples of mixed-model necks and bodies left the factory that way, that suggests questionable quality control (but not a serious problem unless mating mismatching neck pockets resulting in impossible intonation).

If I see another DK2S neck on a KE3, the odds of this combination leaving the factory this way could be high; conversely the odds of any other owners specifically mating a DK2S neck to a KE3 body seem much lower to me. The DK2S didn't seem as popular or as common as the DK2 so I imagine it'd be tougher for owners to find both ingredients to make the recipe.
                Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Good find and I love Kellys!!! Congratz for the NGD!
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yeah, I don't recall what the mismatches were, but they never involved a bound neck on a usually unbound body. It's actually far more common than one would expect.

Comment

What do you make of this one? It's another bound Professional Kelly. Kelly XL, based on the bound rosewood board? It's missing the truss rod cover which would identify the model name.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/longu...ationFlag=true

Comment

Bound rosewood board with Professional on the headstock is correct for a Kelly XL and XLR (R is reverse headstock and sharkfins).
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just a note; if you have balance issues with the guitar, you could try the "Newc" strap pin mod. He moved the strap pin to the front edge of the neck heel. I did the same on my KV and made a permanent installation of a DiMarzio clip strap, using a screw and a washer. It hangs perfectly on me now, with no tendency to level out whatsoever.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind if I ever play standing up again. It's mostly seated playing for this old git these days.

A month and a half after taking it apart and documenting the "hidden" stuff shared earlier in this thread, I finally got around to reassembling this guitar, stringing it with 10-52 and tuning it to D. A very smooth and problem-free assembly. Almost too easy. Effortless low action.

I want to hate the JB but I must admit it roars. I've heard some people say the Jazz has a sort of single coil quality to its sound, but I just find it's a very smooth humbucker.

I want to hate the JT580LP but it's more comfortable under the hand than I remember and it stays in tune no matter the abuse I throw at it.

I want to find faults with this guitar and flip it for profit, but nostalgia, its easy playability, and monster tone remind me of my old one and prevent me from classifying it as anything other than a keeper this time.

Comment

Congratz! And you make me regret not grabbing that cheap Kelly the other day... :P
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                A bound neck on a KE3? That seems like a newer replacement neck to me, but I could be wrong.
                                Yep.
                                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X