X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying which guitar this is

Hi guys,

I hope you aren´t tired of identifying old guitars yet
    I might be buying a new guitar, and if any of you could help me out here, I´d appreciate it.

KVX10...made in Japan. Serial indicates 2002ish, though those numbers can be inconsistent.
    If you're curious you can remove the neck and check the date/model stamps in the neck pocket.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Tuners look to be swapped out. Originally the guitar had [Jackson-labeled?] tuners that had 45-degree screw mounts, like in the below picture. Your Gotoh-labeled tuners have 90-degree screw mounts and the owner didn't want to drill new holes in the headstock, so he reused the old ones which is why the tuners are 45-degrees crooked. If you look carefully, you can see the pale spots (like a "farmer's suntan") under each tuner where the old 45-degree ones used to be. I don't see why this would affect functionality though, so you'd likely be OK.

All the nut slots are cut deeper than I prefer! I'm not too familiar with the Jackson X-Series so I don't know if the factory cuts them that way. I prefer to see half the string sitting out of each nut slot, like in the below picture.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to mention the oddly placed tuners, but at least they were replaced with a top quality GOTOH.

I haven't bought/owned a lot of guitars in my time, but both my 2011 DKMGT and 2015 Ibanez Iceman had poorly cut plastic nuts. Getting rid of them and installing a properly cut bone nut was essential in making both guitars play properly.

Even my 2008 SL2HT needed the slots on the factory bone nut (or, synthetic bone?) filed down to achieve a low action.
        I haven't had great experiences with factory cut nuts.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thank you both!
          I consider the Gotoh tuners a bonus, even though they are oddly placed.
          If I were to buy it, I´d probably swap out the electronics and get a new nut (graph tech or bone).

Comment

On second thought, that number would probably be 2003. My list has 9696456 date stamped '03, but as mentioned, occasionally an oddball with show up that doesn't follow the rules. By 2003 most/all serials had reached 9700000.

The 2000-2005 KVX10's were string thru bridge. Then around '06 they came with a Floyd. To my knowledge there were no string thru's after the mid 2000's except for possibly some limited run models.

BTW...in case you didn't know, the Jackson logo'd tuners that come on USA models are made by Japanese manufacturer Gotoh.
            The Korean tuners that came on my Japanese made DKMGT perform just as well as my USA Soloist's Jackson Gotohs. Many people who have issues with those Korean tuners, in my opinion, simple need a better nut to cure their tuning issues.
            Last edited by Mudlark; 07-14-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

While we are on the topic of KVX10, can you guys clarify something for me please?

I bought mine brand new, but the neck and body are stamped different dates.
              ALSO, on the body it says KVX10D, while we all know that D is a later model with floating bridge.
              Serial number is 98xxxxx, body is Dec 2004 and neck is Mar 2005. Silver hardware.

@OP : Do you mind tell us how much you are going to pay for it? comes with hardcase or without?

Here are some pics

Last edited by Koronerica; 07-16-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

It's not uncommon to see different dates/model names between the neck and body, actually. The KVX10 is often listed with or without the 'D' regardless of tremolo or not. The 2006 catalogue/price list and later has no D and they came with a tremolo. The 2003 catalogue has a string thru with no D as well. Inconsistencies in Jackson's labelling aren't anything new.

The DX10 on the other hand had dots/tremolo, and the DX10D had sharkfins/tremolo. Lots of oddities in the Jackson world.

Yours is an example of what I consider to be a misprinted serial. 9800000 generally starts around 2007, but there're a number of examples of 2005ish models with a 98 that should have a 97xxxxx.
                Last edited by Mudlark; 07-15-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  It's not uncommon to see different dates/model names between the neck and body
                  Especially with the imports. They churn those things out by the truck load.
                  Make a neck, toss it in a box for when it is needed. When a body needs a neck, pull one out of the box.

They aren't made to order. My neck and your neck are exactly alike. If a neck gets pushed to the end of the line and not used for a few months, it is not that big of a deal.

Comment

Working...
                  X