Approaching NGD- '92 Rev Dinky Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approaching NGD- '92 Rev Dinky Pro

Pretty stoked about this- everything I've read about these guitars is that they're from the "golden era" of Japanese production and considered to be the equal of anything Jackson was making in the USA. Don't know about all that but I know I dig Dinkys, having owned a few in my time , and love me some maple boards and reversed head stocks. Win-win.
    Gonna give it a proper set up and if it has the mojo, I'll replace the p'ups and trem. If it merits it, I'll go hog-wild and go stainless frets, a toggle, and some new paint.

And yes, GTWGITS. Not my photos and can't take new ones until it arrives next week.

those necks are pretty thin. pickups lacking and sound thin. if you get them cheap enough the body and neck are solid and will be cool for upgrades. I think that the high treble pickups sound best in them. I own a bunch of these and have tried just about everything you can think of.

Comment

Had a few as well. Killer construction and a great Schaller trem too. If yours has a stripped baseplate you can order a new one (better made these days too) from Schaller direct in Germany.

Found that the maple necks tended to be even thinner than the rosewood ones, at least mine were.

New pups and a better 3 way switch and is bloody near perfect!

I sent one off to Dan Lawrence a while back and he painted a stunning Adrenalize graphics for me.

IMG_5677.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
        Had a few as well. Killer construction and a great Schaller trem too. If yours has a stripped baseplate you can order a new one (better made these days too) from Schaller direct in Germany.

Found that the maple necks tended to be even thinner than the rosewood ones, at least mine were.

New pups and a better 3 way switch and is bloody near perfect!

I sent one off to Dan Lawrence a while back and he painted a stunning Adrenalize graphics for me.

That's what I'm talking about. Upgraded electronics, new Schaller trem (got one sitting on the work bench with a fat brass block on it already) or a Schaller LockMeister w/ shortened string screws, some better p'ups and, if it's got the mojo, a new paint job. Yours BTW is killer! Dan's expensive but does great work. He hooked up one of my Hamer Cali projects with a snakeskin based on a python I saw online.

Comment

cool - I've got about 6 of these professional series including some reverse, both maple and rosewood necks and two are XL models with bound neck and headstock.. I want to modify all of them (trems, pickups, electronics) and sell them off to finance a custom shop or two - I hope. They need some TLC but I'm hoping just the right amount of modding as well, will make for some quick and profitable sales...I think you'll really enjoy yours..Throw a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge !

green-quilt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jeff9beck View Post
            cool - I've got about 6 of these professional series including some reverse, both maple and rosewood necks and two are XL models with bound neck and headstock.. I want to modify all of them (trems, pickups, electronics) and sell them off to finance a custom shop or two - I hope. They need some TLC but I'm hoping just the right amount of modding as well, will make for some quick and profitable sales...I think you'll really enjoy yours..Throw a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9046[/ATTACH]

That's the ticket! Not sure about the X2N; I had one of those in a CS Charvel Star that sounded pretty good. But the DK2Rev is basswood. Might be too sludgy for me.

Comment

Jeff for someone that has so many import Dinkies! Your not very educated on them. Nice score Victor! Wish I still had that DK1 snake skin I bought from you years ago. Rock on.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
                Jeff for someone that has so many import Dinkies! Your not very educated on them. Nice score Victor! Wish I still had that DK1 snake skin I bought from you years ago. Rock on.
                Hey John, How's it going? What? Why don't you tell me what I don't know? Always willing to learn.
                I think all I said is I had some Dinkys like the OP, that I hope to sell, and I hope he enjoys his.
                I think we all know what "you're not very educated" means. That's a lame comment, and not why I joined this forum.
                But hey, you have 2000 posts and I have about 20 so you must be 100 times smarter than me !

Comment

Working...
                X