Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price check on used 1994 Jackson Soloist Std (Professional Series) for CAD$600 w/case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price check on used 1994 Jackson Soloist Std (Professional Series) for CAD$600 w/case

Came across a local ad for a 1994 Japanese Jackson Soloist Std (Professional Series) with generic teardrop-shaped hardshell case (likely made by Canadian company Yorkville, these things are ubiquitous in Canada). Asking price is CAD$600 (USD$459 at today's exchange rate).

I chatted with the seller who confirmed it's 1994 based on the first digit of the serial number.

He's a big J/C fan, trying to fund the purchase of a KV2. He has other import Jacksons (Stealth EX and RR3) for sale but only the Soloist caught my eye.

Google's JCF search results for "Soloist Std" (https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...om+soloist+std) gives me all the guitar's specs and tells me to try and aim for USD$500 or less, but no recent price appraisals so I don't know if this model's value has gone up or down.

EMGs are 81 in the bridge and SA in the middle/neck. All electronics components are also from EMG so I'm assuming it has the proper 1Meg pots, stereo output jack, etc. Note he's trying to justify the EMGs are two-thirds the selling price. I don't feel strongly about EMGs and actually don't find the EMG-81 particularly appealing. Included in the sale are the original single coils, but the original humbucker is currently being used on another guitar.

No "NOTP potential purchase" topic would be complete without my list of hesitation factors.
    -Seller lives nearly an hour away
    -I really don't need another guitar, especially one with HSS pickups, so I can afford to remain picky and patient for killer deals
    -I have a "take 'em or leave 'em" attitude towards EMGs, especially the EMG-81

Thoughts welcomed as always.

Below is the ad description and photos.

Early nineties Jackson Soloist professional series guitar. This guitar is in awesome shape, neck through design and has a complete emg pickup set and wiring system including pickup selector and volume and tone pots. Everything inside was bought as a set from emg. Just the pickups and electronics alone cost nearly $400. Paint is in great shape. Frets are in great shape aswell. Guitar has a Jackson low pro Floyd Rose tremolo and locking nut, includes bar for the bridge. Guitar also comes with a hard shell case. Professionally setup and frets polished. Great guitar and doesn't show is age. This is a guitar that you will be proud to own.
    My reason for selling is that I have twelve guitars and want to buy a really expensive one so I need to downsize abit to justify buying more.

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    EMGs are 81 in the bridge and SA in the middle/neck. All electronics components are also from EMG so I'm assuming it has the proper 1Meg pots, stereo output jack, etc.
    Active pickups like EMGs use 25k pots. Active Duncan Dave Mustaine Live Wires use 100k.

1meg are for use with passive pickups to get things a little brighter above the standard 500k or 250k.

All in all, I think it's a decent deal. You could always sell the EMGs.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Haha, I should have googled before posting 1Meg. I'm rusty and I've even owned EMGs in the past! And it's clearly 25k on the EMG site! http://www.emgpickups.com/25k-volume.html

With any luck, the whole EMG suite is one of the newer quick-connect ones (I had soldered sets in the past) and I could probably just easily swap the EMG-81 for an EMG-85 which is more my cup of tea. (Zero experience soldering.)

Comment

It sounds like it was well looked after, and it appears to be well looked after. I'd find the EMG's and quick connect a bonus, also. For that reason I'd pay $600 and not feel bad about it, but I'll bet he'd take less.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The seller traded it for a Gibson Explorer. That was fast. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Comment

Ah, that's a bummer. Well, good luck in the quest for your next guitar!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X