Help buying a King V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help buying a King V

I'm gassing for a KV, but I'm confused by the various models!

I'm seeing:
    * The new Pro KV model that comes in black and silver and has the 3 way toggle
    * The various X-series models, active and passive pup versions, blade switch
    * Used MIJs, both "Pro" and "Professional", some cheaper some are $$$$ (super confused here)
    * Various USA models, mostly out of my price range, but would consider something priced nicely

I prefer:
    * Simple colors (black/white/silver), but some over the top shit like polkadots
    * Simple controls - single vol, 3 way toggle, etc

Point me in the right direction!

The 'Professional' logo'd models are from '90-'98ish and made in Japan. Highly regarded guitars, especially the top of the line PRO's ('90-'95). The PRO's had USA similar specs: ebony board, pearl logo/inlays, Schaller trem, quarter-sawn neck...

The Professionals were also well built, but had rosewood boards, non-pearl, logo/inlays, no quarter-sawn necks...

Both the PRO's and Professionals had a 'Professional logo, but just keep an eye out for the ebony board...that's the easiest way to distinguish between the two.

The modern era Pros (2000ish-2011 Japan), 2012-today Mexico (bolt ons) and 2012-today Indonesia (neck thrus) don't have a Professional logo.

What's your price range? Is used fine? Tremolo only or is string thru bridge acceptable?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

@Mudlark - Thanks for that info, very helpful.

Price, I'm looking at the new Pro KV at GC, I have a coupon that'll bring it down to around $750, which is appealing. If a nicer model with a German Floyd, or a used USA were to show up for under $1200-ish, i would be pretty tempted.

Comment

Oh, and used is definitely fine, as long as the frets are in very nice shape, and I prefer a Floyd for sure.

Comment

The current Pro Series are very nice. The oiled neck in particular is great. I highly recommend one of them.

Comment

Played a new Pro series RR at GC tonight (They didn't have the KV in stock)

I wasn't... overly impressed? neck felt nice, but the joint in the clearcoat at the bottom of the neck bugged me a bit. it felt like a hard plastic line just started.

The guitar sounded and played great, felt a little light in general, not in the good way, but in the cheap way? maybe i'm overthinking it, i know i'd break it in with lots of playing and it would probably feel better, but man. my MIJ San Dimas cost around the same and feels worlds more solid (esp since I swapped the Floyd 1000 for a Germany OFR).

Anyway, the search continues. Maybe now looking for an older MIJ or a USA.

Comment

Working...
            X