Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need the proper lock nut for my King V

Hi!

I recently picked up an 1994 Jackson King V Standard that needs a new lock nut, one of the holes is stripped out and I can't lock my B and E strings. From what I gather measuring the old one, I could use an R4, there is no binding on the neck. The lock nut on it now has no markings whatsoever on the bottom. I was going to buy a Gotoh GHL 2 R4 but they don't state what the neck radius is on that particular lock nut, and I'm guessing it has a 12" radius neck. I have a cheap digital caliper and the measurements on the old lock nut are pretty much the same as the Gotoh, give or take a mm or 2 due to the cheap caliper.

Gotoh GHL 2 R4 dimensions:

• Gotoh GHL-2 B Floyd Rose Locking Nut
    • 1-11/16"(R4) 43mm
    • Top mount
    • Black finish
    • Base measures 1-11/16"(43mm) x 19/32"(15mm)
    • String spread is 1-7/16"(36.5mm)
    • Nut mounting holes are spaced 17/32"(14mm)
    1986 Charvel Model 6
    1994 Jackson King V Std
    1996 Jackson Warrior
    2000 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
    2001 Kramer Imperial
    2011 Jackson RRXMG

Are you sure it's not the actual screw itself? The threads can strip out when being overtightened, and they're easily replaced.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Are you sure it's not the actual screw itself? The threads can strip out when being overtightened, and they're easily replaced.
      Hi! Yea the weird thing is, if I turn the screw all the way in it actually tightens up. I just tried the other screws in that hole and they seem tighter.

Maybe I'll just go to the hardware store and try some screws, since the others seem to turn in no problem.

The screw kept falling out when I changed strings and the first thing I thought of was the lock nut was stripped, it might be the screw itself.

Still, it would be nice to know the radius of the neck and which lock nut to use, just in case.
      1986 Charvel Model 6
      1994 Jackson King V Std
      1996 Jackson Warrior
      2001 Kramer Imperial
      2011 Jackson RRXMG

Comment

I always go for an R3 if I change a nut on a Jackson.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

if you do swap out make sure it says "made in germany" on the back

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
            I always go for an R3 if I change a nut on a Jackson.
            The R3 is 42.9mm and the R4 is 43mm, the part of the neck where the lock nut sets measures 43.29mm +/- 0.03mm variable due to the caliper.

As far as that goes, it seems the R4 would be sized better than the R3, the neck has no binding, if it did then you would probably want the R3.

The lock nut that's on the guitar now measures 43.08mm, that's why I am leaning towards the R4.

I just wanted to know the neck radius and if the Gotoh GHL 2 is good for that neck radius.
            1986 Charvel Model 6
            1994 Jackson King V Std
            1996 Jackson Warrior
            2001 Kramer Imperial
            2011 Jackson RRXMG

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
              if you do swap out make sure it says "made in germany" on the back
              Gotoh is made in Japan, or are you talking about Schaller / Floyd Rose?
              1986 Charvel Model 6
              1994 Jackson King V Std
              1996 Jackson Warrior
              2001 Kramer Imperial
              2011 Jackson RRXMG

Comment

What Color nut do you need? I have a B.H.43 Chrome nut, It has everything mounting screws,clamps and nut, I just dont have the screws. I used them to replace stipped ones on a another guitar. Also if you want to buy a new nut you want R3 not R4, The BH.43 on the bottom of jackson nuts 43=R3.

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
                  What Color nut do you need? I have a B.H.43 Chrome nut, It has everything mounting screws,clamps and nut, I just dont have the screws. I used them to replace stipped ones on a another guitar. Also if you want to buy a new nut you want R3 not R4, The BH.43 on the bottom of jackson nuts 43=R3.
                  Hi, thanks for the reply! The nut is black, and there are no markings on it at all, nothing. Are you guys talking about OFR nuts or Gotoh?

The neck is 1 11/16" and the first is listed as 19mm and the 12th is 21mm, if that helps any. No mention of the neck radius, does this even matter?

The Floyd Rose R3 says it's for a 12" radius and the R4 is listed as being for a 10" radius, this is why I'm asking.
                  1986 Charvel Model 6
                  1994 Jackson King V Std
                  1996 Jackson Warrior
                  2001 Kramer Imperial
                  2011 Jackson RRXMG

Comment

The radius should be compound, I believe 12" - 16". The Floyd saddles usually get shimmed a tiny bit to conform better to the radius.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I emailed Floyd Rose just a bit ago, for a friend that upgraded his JT580 to a Floyd 1000, They told me to get the R3 nut since the stock one is B.H 43, The stock locking nut is a R3 just writen B.H.43 for jackson. What tremolo do you have JT580LP? Look on the block and tell me whats on the block takeuchi Made In Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
                        I emailed Floyd Rose just a bit ago, for a friend that upgraded his JT580 to a Floyd 1000, They told me to get the R3 nut since the stock one is B.H 43, The stock locking nut is a R3 just writen B.H.43 for jackson. What tremolo do you have JT580LP? Look on the block and tell me whats on the block takeuchi Made In Japan?
                        Yes, according to the catalog it's a JT580 and it does have "Takeuchi Made in Japan" on the block.

So you can put a FR 1000 on, is it a direct fit? Not looking to do so at this time, as it sounds great, maybe just replace saddle screws and string blocks.

Thanks!
                        1986 Charvel Model 6
                        1994 Jackson King V Std
                        1996 Jackson Warrior
                        2001 Kramer Imperial
                        2011 Jackson RRXMG

Comment

It should fit right in, only thing with the floyd in that route is the Floyd rose screws will be longer then the original jackson and depending on what tuning you use drop tuning etc you might not be able to intonate properly and the screw will hit/rub on the body. Some people have done the mod on the JT580LP which has a larger area for the back screws. I was looking to do this myself and researched it. It is a direct swap you only need to drill bigger holes to fit the new bushings if you want to use the new trem posts.

Comment

Working...
                          X