No announcement yet.

Can you help me ID this 1992 Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me ID this 1992 Japanese?

Please see the pics I posted them to the URL below. Just picked this guy up. I am told its a 1992 Japan dinky professional SP. Can you confirm that? Also, its my first Jackson (i mostly play fender strat & tele, but always loved the super starts back in the mid/late 80's) any thoughts or advise on this guitar? Guess at what its worth?

Last, I have a chance to buy a mint condition 1992 USA Soloist (pic attached), the pu's are upgraded and the originals are not available, thoughts on its value? Thank you VERY much!

http://postimg.org/gallery/24p1z0t88/

The Dinky is a 1992, 2 in the serial number means 92. Is the tremolo a Jackson Tremolo? does it say below where you put the whammy bar Made in Germany by Schaller? if so that's a Jackson JT590 tremolo. I am not sure about the other one as I have only owned import Jackson guitars. I don't really know anything about the USA ones.

Comment

The only guitar I can find from the audiozone list that fits the 22-fret, HSH, full-size dots, no pickguard spec is the Dinky SP.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ofessional.php

Comment

The Soloist looks butchered.
        The neck pickup used to be a single coil.
        Someone carved it up and added the humbucker.
        -Rick

Comment

asking for a value on the forum is a big no no. seriously, 4-5 people come on here every week and fish for a price saying they are "buying" a jackson.

I'll give you $1 for both.

Comment

Thanks, pics attached, says lic. under floyd rose pat. And Jackson on the other side. I also put a closeup of the PU's.

http://s31.postimg.org/pq7oxtwsb/IMG_4786.jpg
            http://s31.postimg.org/hd2035xkr/IMG_4787.jpg

Comment

Thanks, that's all i could find also. I did find a 1992 Jackson / Charvel Catalog 2nd edition where the SP is listed, but all the copies I could find online you can't read the specs due to the background paper color and the resolution of the scan.

Comment

Thanks, I will stay away. In the Fender and Gibson world the value goes way down if any of the parts have been changed out, even for better ones (I always keep the originals if I make changes). Is this the same with Jackson and Charvel's (and Kramers)? I like to keep the guitar at the highest value as odds are I may trade it at some point...

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome... First not sure asking for a value is a no no, please explain. I paid $250 for the Dinky SP 1992 - so how about this - was that a 1) bad deal, 2) ok deal, 3) good deal, 4) great deal? I live in a small country in the middle east, so my selection is small but I do come across interesting stuff, but often time its over priced due to the market. I get to the US 3-4 times a year, which is when I tend to pick up gear. Can you tell me if the Jackson's made in Japan such as this 1992 guy were made for import or for Japan (or both)? I ask because I have MIJ Fender's that were both made for export and that were made for the Japanese market. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

BTW just found the "reply with quote" feature, will use that moving forward...

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      The Soloist looks butchered.
                      The neck pickup used to be a single coil.
                      Someone carved it up and added the humbucker.
                      "Butchered" is subjective, as is "carved it up". You've not seen the route in person, it may be well-done, even though your personal preference would be to have kept it H-S-S, just as my personal preference says that a playable neckthrough USA Jackson is worth $1000 at minimum.

Vintage Fender and Gibson snobs fret over trivialities like original pickups and pots, but the typical J/C community doesn't, so not having those weak-ass, in-house pickups is no loss, and they can be found on Ebay regularly. Duncan and DiMarzio make better ones. I'm pretty sure these were not Abigail Ybarra Jackson pickups, so "loss" is not a word that comes to mind to see them not available.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        "Butchered" is subjective, as is "carved it up". You've not seen the route in person, it may be well-done, even though your personal preference would be to have kept it H-S-S, just as my personal preference says that a playable neckthrough USA Jackson is worth $1000 at minimum.

Vintage Fender and Gibson snobs fret over trivialities like original pickups and pots, but the typical J/C community doesn't, so not having those weak-ass, in-house pickups is no loss, and they can be found on Ebay regularly. Duncan and DiMarzio make better ones. I'm pretty sure these were not Abigail Ybarra Jackson pickups, so "loss" is not a word that comes to mind to see them not available.

Thanks. Was $250 a fair price for the dinky sp?

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                          asking for a value on the forum is a big no no. seriously, 4-5 people come on here every week and fish for a price saying they are "buying" a jackson.

I'll give you $1 for both.

And then they post it on eBay saying "experts have appraised this unit"

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                            And then they post it on eBay saying "experts have appraised this unit"

yea pretty much lol

Comment

Dudebro's, thats not a butchered dinky, the HSH one is a Fusion Sx, I also own one! You know by the HSHm 1 volume pot and 5 way switch that is characteristic for it. It is a dinky body with a gibson scale 24 fret neck. Absolute killer guitars to play. $250 is a bit on the pricey side for what others go for, but well worth it. It's a good investment.

This is mine:

Last edited by Hollywoodscum; 04-29-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X