Orange Blaze pro dinky dk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Blaze pro dinky dk2

Man, so long since I've posted! Hope everyone is well.

I'm seriously wanting to pull the trigger on this thing. Like, really close. This guitar seems perfect.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/53812/G...escription-tab

Does anyone own one? Anything bad to say about this guitar? It seems like it has every spec I want. I'm not sure about the "3 screw", neck but I feel like it should be fine.

I can't find anything I don't like about it, just looking for some opinion.

Thanks dudes.
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Well I don't like the flatsawn neck or the price. Otherwise Id grab it as a back up .

Comment

I remember seeing one in a GC a few months ago. Seemed like a decent guitar and played ok (needed a good setup as do most guitars hanging in GC). But that from Long McQuade is way too much, unless it's priced like that for being in Canada. Sweetwater has the same guitar for less. You can call them and talk to a sales rep and most likely they will deal with you and give you a better price. I've bought a few guitars from them and they've always been great to deal with.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DK2ProOSB

Comment

Buy something made by World Guitar in Korea instead. Better guitar for the value, likely less costly, better workmanship, etc...
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Cool colour. Seems like forever since I've seen an ebony board on a import Dinky.

Long and McQuade is indeed Canadian. $1149 CND is about $830 USD.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yeah is Canadian. I love the color and I love the ebony board. Maybe I'll keep looking. I haven't been able to play one, the specs just looked really good to me.

Comment

Great looking guitar and like all Pros, good specs. I don't think you'll regret getting one.

Comment

I need to do some research on the flatsawn neck. I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what the difference is.

Comment

Quartersawn necks are much much stronger and stable then flat sawn necks.

Comment

Quartersawn neck is also a feature you only get on US Dinkys costing more than twice as much as the Mexican Dinkys. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I have one and I love it. Is my favorite import that I own. I have 3 USA's and 8 imports. The sound is great, it plays great. I wanted something a little different. The split coils, the finish, inlays, direct mount pickups and the wrap around heal all make it different then the rest. It has a few fret ends that are a little sharp, but nothing major and I don't notice it when i'm playing it.

Comment

I just saw this and had to respond. I've been a wood worker making furniture for many years and figured I'd share some thought's.

First you have to understand that as wood picks up moisture from the air when it is "humid" and releases moisture when the room air is "dry" the wood expands/contracts and can warp. This is a constant process and you can easily see a noticeable change in a bare unfinished piece of wood overnight. This is one of the main reason's to apply a finish to wood. It seals the water carrying tubes within the wood and prevents the moisture exchange with the atmosphere, thus minimizing the tendency to warp.

Some wood species are more or less prone to warping. Walnut is a very stable wood. I would not call Maple particularly stable. Nevertheless, quartersawing is the best way to cut a wood plank to maximize stability because of the way it slices through the water carrying tubes within the wood. See http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...why-wood-warps
                        While quartersawn wood is probably just a bit stronger than flat sawn wood, rift sawn (half way between quarter and flat sawn) is probably just as strong. Most of the wood on guitar necks I see are rift sawn.

Some things to keep in mind:

Many guitar necks are 3 or more pieces laminated. Laminated wood is definitely stronger than a single piece. Laminating dramatically reduces the tendency to warp as you well know. Also, I seriously have my doubts whether a single piece Q-sawn electric guitar neck is more resonant than a 3-piece laminated neck, but whatever. I'll leave that to the guys who count the copper atoms in their speaker wires }:0

Guitars have truss rods and the Jackson's have additional graphite rods embedded within the neck. On a thin neck guitar like a Jackson, I'm more concerned about neck twist than bowing, but with the additional reinforcement of the truss/graphite rods, I really don't have much concern. If anyone out there seen many warped or twisted Jackson necks I'd love to hear about it.

Having said all the above, if the guitar is stored where the humidity changes a lot you do need to be more careful. Because the neck is finished, even if it's just oiled, the absorbtion/release of moisture from the wood takes time - a week or two. The danger for most people living in N. America comes in the fall when we finally turn on our heaters which cook all the moisture out of the air, and the moisture gets sucked out of the guitar wood. You come back a week or 2 after turning the heat on for the season and the fret ends are sticking out and some of the frets buzz.

For most people, I don't think uncontrolled warping is a danger, but it is still worthwhile to control humidity if you can. If you have forced air heat or a wood stove, as opposed to hot water radiators, your house air is probably going to be more dry. My home has forced air heat and it's roughly 27%-30% relative humidity. f it gets really cold outside, that RH drops to near 20%. I put all my guitars in a closet and have an ultrasonic humidifier running on low. The closet air is protected from the general room air recirculation back to the house heater, so it doesn't get dried out as quick. It works. During the winter when the air is dry I really only keep one guitar out on the stand all the time. It's a Mexican Strat that I really don't care too much about. Everything else gets put back in the closet after playing. Good acoustic guitars have to have humidifying devices in the case.

Hope this helps someone.
                        Last edited by zippin44; 03-06-2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I always appreciate technical posts from guys who know their stuff. I wondered why some of the older import Jacksons (like my KVMG) have a 3 piece neck. Now they are all 1 piece with scarf joint.

Comment

Zippin we need more guys like you. Putting scaremongers to bed with science and not whats just slapped up on the net. Thank you.
                            Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas
                            Ibanez JS1200
                            Fender 70s Classic Stratocaster
                            Epiphone Les Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X