Quality of the Soloist SLX vs. Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of the Soloist SLX vs. Pro

I was wanting to get a Pro Soloist, but don't like the piranha inlays, no pickup rings, chrome/black hardware.

So have been looking at getting the Soloist SLX. Not sure if swapping the Floyd bridge and nut offers much of an upgrade?

I've got a SL2H Soloist USA, but I find the ends of the frets rather sharp, and for some reason when I pick/palm mute, my pick hits right on the edge of the neck pickup ring. My other Jacksons, the pick lands somewhere in between the neck/bridge pickup rings. Weird.

The SLX has a Floyd Special, which can be swapped for an Original Floyd if I'm not mistaken.

I believe guitars must be judged individually, so trying out an SLX is the only way to be sure of what it actually is or isn't. It's not hard to find people online who really love theirs, but you'll always find someone who thinks they're shit.

Sounds like your SL2H just needs a little filing of the fret ends to make it smooth again. I'd assume your fret board has shrunk a bit over time which allowed the frets to overhang the board edge.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The most important difference is the neck. The SLX has the painted gloss finish. The Pros have a great...they call it oiled neck; I think it's a painted and sanded neck. In any case, it's a great-feeling neck. Then there's the US pickups vs. Korean pickups, alder-ebony vs. basswood-rosewood, FR as you mentioned. The price difference is well-justified. Both are quality instruments, in their respective price ranges.

Comment

There are plenty of used MIJ Pros on the market for very reasonable prices in many areas. Many of them would satisfy your spec requirements.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

the pro has an ebony board, alder body, if that makes a difference to ya, I don't thing the pickup rings placement will be that much different than a SL2H.. maybe in wrong.
          take your SL2H in and have those frets looked at..
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

I have one of the SLX's in Yellow, and just to let you, the body on it (And the latest SLX's) is Nato which is a cheaper version of Mahogany and not Basswood as fas I can tell. The guitar is significantly heavier than my other Basswood body Jacksons.

The designed Duncans are ok, and have big wide sound with the wood combination, but not that hot or aggressive like your typical distortion PUs! The fretboard on mine is black rosewood like an ebony one, but the grain is obviously rosewood.
            The guitar looks and feels solid, with no sharp frets or intonation issues what so ever!... However if you're gonna change the pickups and the Floyd Rose term, and it's going to be one of your main axes, I'd say invest in a Pro model if the color pallet won't bother that much, at least you get higher end woods on it!
            -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

Working...
            X