DK2M MIJ tremelo upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M MIJ tremelo upgrade question

Hey everyone! I have a question that I'm sure has been already posted here before by others ,but I can't seem to locate the tread/threads. I own a MIJ snow white ,bone stock DK2M ,and I am about to order an Original Floyd rose to replace the $29.00 FR licensed Trem that came stock on the guitar. I just need to be absolutely sure on which model I need to order . I believe it is the recessed model,but not sure which lock nut I need R2,R3 ,R4 . The current stock trem has been acting weird lately ,not staying in tune and making vibrating , humming sounds when I hit hard power chords.You can really hear it when guitar is played without an amp. I probably just need to change the springs ,but I have wanted to put a real FR on it since the day I got it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Underneath the nut it shows which model it would be R2,R3. All the jacksons with floating trems I have had have been R3 nuts. What trem is on your DK2M JT580 or JT580 Low profile?

Comment

If you're not changing the color of the hardware, use the nut and trem posts that are already on the guitar.
      The post spacing is identical to an OFR and there really is no need to swap them unless the posts are damaged or you're doing a color change on the hardware.
      The JT580 trems also use a metric nut (43mm) which is really close to an R3 Floyd nut in width, but not height.
      The Floyd nut is taller.
      -Rick

Comment

Awesome.Thank you for replying. I am going to go for it .Also ,I am sticking with black ,as I like the look of the black hardware against the white body. I was thinking I would maybe be able to use my current Nut lock ,and posts. Thanks again!

Comment

I just bought a DK2M, couple threads below this one. Anyway, I thinking of replacing the trem with an OFR as well.
          I did this on my DKMG and ran into a couple small problems.

1, the nut heights are quite different, on the DKMG, I opted to take some of the shelf since I was changing colors. OFR pads may not fit correctly in the existing nut. If your existing nut is in good shape, you might opt not replace it.
          2, OFR studs and posts are slightly larger. You may need to enlarge them a little, it’s not hard, just be careful. I opted to use the new studs as mine were worn.
          3, The route, the corner near the trem arm/pickup may need to be filed out just a tad. On mine, it looked like it would just barley clear, it didn’t , and I could feel it hitting..
          Cheers : )
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X