Green Day, Green Floyd, Green User...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Day, Green Floyd, Green User...

So I've for years played "slow guitar," and acquired a recent desire to become more (euphemistically) "technical" with my playing; led me to search for something with a faster/flatter neck, better access, and higher performance trem than the Fenders I usually play.

Nearly picked up a Mockingbird STC (Guitar Center sale) but held out for a day... During which time, this appeared on the GC used site, and I couldn't hesitate at $250 .

To use an apt surfing analogy, this is the short board to the longboard that is my Fender Jaguar; causes me to totally re-evaluate everything I play, and I love every minute of it. Comparative large frets and low action have improved my technique, Floyd Special is endless fun and even flutters well... Such a big, smooth sound even considering the stock zinc block and pickups. Of course I still love Fenders for their clean sound and chording, but in terms of aggression and shred/leads, this thing feels unbeatable. Totally satisfied.

That said, a few questions:

-After a big bar up-bend, the guitar on occasion ends up a bit sharp (five cents or so), depressing the bar flattens it back to standard. Five cents seems like nothing and isn't noticeable to me without actually checking but... Is this normal performance for an FR Special? Should I break out the chap stick or new posts?

-I keep thinking about the below guitar; sorry for the crappy pic, but it's all I can still manage to find. It was marked a Soloist SLX at the same price I acquired mine. At the moment I bought the above guitar it wasn't a question for me as I knew I wanted green more and wasn't knowledgeable enough to see the differences but... The more I look at the below, the more I wonder; is it even a Soloist? Dinky? Some rare special I missed out on? Can't seem to get much out of googling reverse stock Soloist with chrome floyd/blade switch...

Maybe an expert can ID it and tell me how stupid I am or am not from having not called the shop to at least ask more about it?

The guitar in the tiny pic looks like a DX10-D Dinky.
    Not bad, just a middle of the road Jackson import.

Your green guitar is an SLX. Nice find btw... those retail for just over $700.

As for the tuning issue, could be sticky springs. Check the trem posts and the base plate to see if there are any flat spots.
    -Rick

Comment

Nice grab. Welcome to the fold. Beware, you will want more.

Comment

Also, the DX10D Dinky would have a bolt on neck.
        All Dinkys are bolt on, all Soloists are neck thru.

Looks like a 2012ish made in India model. What's the serial? ...on the SLX....
        Last edited by Mudlark; 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Danley View Post

-After a big bar up-bend, the guitar on occasion ends up a bit sharp (five cents or so), depressing the bar flattens it back to standard. Five cents seems like nothing and isn't noticeable to me without actually checking but... Is this normal performance for an FR Special? Should I break out the chap stick or new posts?

I had a similar issue with my Kelly... I changed the nut and the problem went away.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...

Yep, it's an Indian, SN 1204161 . I tightened the locking nut a bit more, being careful while I did it, which seems to have remedied a bit of the tuning issue... One of the locks was on sideways, so fixed that :P It's good enough for the time that I don't feel like messing with it further/replacing the nut, I might carefully try to tighten it to the neck when I get around to changing the strings but there doesn't seem to be any movement. Thought I had a creak and worried about post wear, but narrowed it down to the arm being the source of the noise.

Uggh. I'm already looking for more Jacksons/Charvels/Floyd axes, sort of want one to drop these in. Fine with the humbuckers on this one, they're nice to push the amp more in an apartment, much hotter than what I've been playing, the change in itself is nice to have.

I'm really loving this thing, I've at this point attained 130bpm sixteenth note runs on a few solos I'm learning, which sucks a bit, but is getting close and is an improvement for me in a short amount of time... Not saying the guitar is to blame, but it's very inspiring sound-wise and so easy to play.
            Last edited by Danley; 09-03-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X