JS32 8-Q Pickup routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS32 8-Q Pickup routing

Oh, my god, guys. I got a JS32 8-Q a while ago and was really surprised by how well made it was. Sure it needs some attention on the fret edges and binding, but I got more than what I paid for. So the problem is, I of course wanted to replace the pickups. I already have some SD Blackouts in my DK2-FF and love the way they sound and ordered the 8 string version to go in this guitar.

The routes on the guitar are slightly too curved on the corners for the new pickups, like, just slightly too small. I've asked around where I live and there is seriously no luthier around here that can help, it's shocking to be honest.

What can I do? I've looked into routers and pickup templates ETC but by the time I've spent all that cash, I may as well have just bought a DKA8

But if I do end up getting templates made, buying a router, testing and testing etc; I figure I have to strip the paint off and everything before I begin re-routing for the new pickups, right? I'm a noob at this..

Some pictures may help:

I keep it strung up so at least I can play it while waiting for a solution to present itself!

Please, help!
    Jackson Kelly Ke3 MIJ black
    Jackson DK2 Black with Flame Frets
    Jackson JS32 8-Q (currently upgrading to SD Blackout pickups)

It will take some work to go from passives pickups to active ones. Can you exchange the Blackouts for some passives SDs? That would probably be the easiest, least invasive way as they should be a better fit.

Comment

Use a dremel on the inside of the routes a tiny bit. Or maybe you can slightly shave the sides of the pickup casings down?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No need to strip the paint.
        Mask off the area and mark the corners.
        Break out a corner chisel and viola... squared corners.
        Tap lightly to get it started and the clean up the rest with a small straight edge chisel.
        Then with the area still masked off, hit the cavity with some flat black paint.

You can get these at home depot pretty cheap.

corner_chisel_fine_points_01.jpg
        -Rick

Comment

Didn't think about shaving the pickup casings down, that might be a solution.. Also, the corner chisel looks like a smart way too. I will have to see if the hardware stores sell that stuff here in Norway. I suuuure hope so!

Thanks for the ideas

Comment

Why not just add the Blackout preamp to the pickups you had? I installed a Blackout with the stock Duncans in my Elite that I used to have. compared A/B with a soloist that had the Blackout preamp with the Blackout pickups there was only the very slightest little difference in the tone at playing volume. And in my opinion the difference was small enough that it could have been because of the trem or the springs or the setup or some small difference like that.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Looks like shaving the covers down won't be enough. You're sure to hit the coils.

I'd say go at the cavities with a Dremel and a sanding barrel and expand the routes.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                Why not just add the Blackout preamp to the pickups you had? I installed a Blackout with the stock Duncans in my Elite that I used to have. compared A/B with a soloist that had the Blackout preamp with the Blackout pickups there was only the very slightest little difference in the tone at playing volume. And in my opinion the difference was small enough that it could have been because of the trem or the springs or the setup or some small difference like that.
                You know, I've read about that before and it was in the corner of my mind, but I only remembered it as a solderless wiring system, not a complete pre-amp. I wish I'd have remembered this before gutting the thing and buying new pickups. I will do this for the next time though

Here's me learning the "look at every possibility before ripping out electronics" lesson.

Comment

Working...
                X