Considering DK2M Crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering DK2M Crackle

I have always been after a crackle finish Jackson and considering grabbing one before the limited edition thing disappears.

However, I'm similarly wondering if I wouldn't be better off going for a Custom Select in the crackle finish, possibly a DK1.

So simple question. I know that the DK1 will be tonnes better than the DK2M in various ways, etc. But is it worth the extra £1500 or so to go for a USA made above the DK2M? I can afford either option, just wondering if it's worth getting a USA version of a production model the exact same...

Isn't crackle finishing banned in the U.S due to environmental issues? I think I read something about that in here.

Comment

I thought they came up with a more enviro friendly process.........you could be right though, which is why they are doing it on a MIM guitar.

I reckon that crackle looks pretty ordinary, the swirl & bengal are great though, if it wasn't for our shite dollar & killer shipping costs, I'd have one on the way to me now

Comment

1. The DK-2 is not made in the USA. A ban wouldn't matter.
        2. I don't know if they lifted the ban or if they found a way to make it without causing cancer to the one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple, people eaters, but you can now buy crackle paint. Martha Stewart even has a line of crackles.

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
          So simple question. I know that the DK1 will be tonnes better than the DK2M in various ways, etc. But is it worth the extra £1500 or so to go for a USA made above the DK2M? I can afford either option, just wondering if it's worth getting a USA version of a production model the exact same...

I would ask yourself what you want in a guitar. As well as how much you can get out of it. But also, I don't know if you have a job.

Not everyone can afford a USA. Not everyone has the playing skills to get the extra quality out of a USA. Not every one wants all of the niceties that are found in a USA.

I liken this to the Soloist vs Model 6 conversation.
          Many people said that the Model 6 was so well built, and that they were exact clones of the Soloist.
          I didn't own a Model 6 when they were new (80's). But I have some now, 30 years after the fact.
          While the Model 6 is definitely a great guitar, I see/feel the differences between them and my Soloists from the same era. I don't know if they aged poorly, or if they had the same differences when new, or maybe even if having the CS do those few extra little things that a standard production can't get, does that make the real difference in the two units.

I can see/hear/feel the differences in those two that others can't, but I also know guys that are completely satisfied with a JS and don't know why we spend 10x on the USA.

Comment

Well I have a few USA guitars and one Custom Shop.I do like my USAs. Just trying to weigh up if it's worth it just for the finish.

FWIW, this will be primarily a teaching guitar.

Comment

Then go for it. If the finish is the big thing for you then you needn't worry about the quality of the DK2M, they're good guitars. No point spending a fortune on something that isn't gong to do the hard yards. In any case, I don't think crackles are available on USA models anyway, could be wrong but you can always ask Jackson.

Comment

I think go for the DK2M if based on finish, and you already have some USA and a Custom Shop. I have high end guitars and also DK2M - it is still a really nice guitar. Mine is MIJ not MIM though...so not sure how quality compares. Will be a cool teachin guitar in crackle finish though! My old Charvel Fusion defo turns heads in the rainbow crackle finish ha.

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
                  Well I have a few USA guitars and one Custom Shop.I do like my USAs. Just trying to weigh up if it's worth it just for the finish.

FWIW, this will be primarily a teaching guitar.
                  I bought a yellow tiger DK2M because of the finish. I sold it because of the sub-par frets and trem.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Had the blue Bengal DK2M, good guitar, sounded great, as stated though sub-par trem.
                    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Working...
                    X