Pro King V KVQ - any experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro King V KVQ - any experiences?

I've been looking at this one (and the KVMG but I'm not sure if actives are for me) and it seems intriguing, but I can't seem to find many reviews out there. On one Youtube video the colors were looking even more vibrant than on Jackson's own pic but unfortunately it sounds like the guy hadn't tuned his guitar very well...
    Does anyone have experience with this model?

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-DK/...sparent-amber/

General

Model Name: Pro King V™ KVQ, Ebony Fingerboard, Transparent Amber
    Model Number: 2914422501
    Series: Pro Series
    Color: Transparent Amber

Body

Body Material: Alder with AAA Quilt Maple Top
    Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
    Body Shape: King V™

Neck

Neck Material: 3-Piece Maple Neck-Through-Body with Graphite Reinforcement
    Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Oil
    Neck Shape: Speed Neck
    Neck Binding: White
    Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Fingerboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
    Number of Frets: 24
    Fret Size: Jumbo
    String Nut: Floyd Rose® Locking
    Nut Width: 1.6875" (42.8 mm)
    Position Inlays: Pearloid Sharkfin
    Truss Rods: Dual-Action
    Head Stock Binding: White
    Headstock: Jackson® Pointed 6-In-Line

Electronics

Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® SH6 Distortion Humbucking
    Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® SH6 Distortion Humbucking
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Pickup Configuration: HH

Hardware

Bridge: Floyd Rose® FRT-O2000 Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)
    Hardware Finish: Black Nickel
    Tremolo Arm Handle: Floyd Rose® FRT 02000 Locking
    Tuning Machines: Jackson® Sealed Die-Cast
    Control Knobs: Metal Dome
    Switch Tips: Black

Miscellaneous

Strings: NPS, .009-.042 Gauges
    Unique Features: White Bound Fingerboard and Headstock, Matching Painted Headstock, Dunlop® Straplocks, Black Truss Rod Cover, Knurled Dome Control Knobs

I got the Pro Series KVT last year. Basically the same thing but black and a string-through bridge. Really like the Distortion pickups, although something different in the neck spot might've been a good idea. Really nice guitar, I've had zero complaints apart from the stock tuners not being quite as responsive as I'd like. I'd assume this thing would be just as good.

Comment

You can read any other reviews of Pro King Vs as most of them are similar really, with the exception of the KV model. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Comment

Thanks. I've been reading a couple of KVMG reviews and most have been positive - I just wasn't sure if EMG's were something for me so this KVQ looked interesing to me and I think the TA finish looks great.
        Still trying to decide between a used KVMG that I found for sale and the KVQ - since I'll be able to try the used one out before buying (The KVQ I would have to order online) and would still be able to swap the pickups for passives for the same price I think the KVMG is the best option.

Comment

Best advice for buying any guitar online, low end or high end: Make sure there's a good return policy. A lemon is possible from all price ranges.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks. I ended up ordering the KVQ because really that's the one I knew all along I wanted - that and the used KVMG got sold to someone else, hehe.
            Anyway I'm buying it as B-stock from Thomann. They have a 30 day money back guarantee which is better than the 14 day EU minimum so if they honor it then it's pretty good.
            I just hope any flaws there might be with the guitar are minor cosmetic ones - kinda fearing it's a guitar the customer sent back because they couldn't adjust the action low enough or stuff like that... If so then I'll probably send it back and get a new one - or perhaps another model.

Comment

Let us know how you like it. And post some pics if you get a chance.

Comment

Ok got my guitar yesterday and we had band rehearsal today.
                It looks amazing and the balance is near perfect. The wood on the back of the neck seems untreated - not oiled - but is still a lot faster than lacquer. Action is a little high but that can most likely be adjusted. No dead frets.
                Frets are disappointing though - the material is too soft and they are showing definite marks from the windings on the E, A and D strings (from the customer who returned this guitar).
                Pickups - neck pickup is great but I'm not so sure about the bridge pickup. It looks identical to the neck pickup except it's missing the Seymour Duncan logo??? I wonder if the previous customer changed the pickup for a no-name zebra but I find it hard to believe. I think I have to take a look at the bottom. Anyway the bridge pickup sounds nice but has less output than the neck and feeds back a lot and I don't know why but they decided to use a normal humbucker size instead of trembucker - I don't understand. On pictures of the model it also doesn't look like it's a trembucker as it ought to be with a Floyd Rose.

Comment

Hey, I have the KVQMG (the EMG variant of your guitar) Do you still have it? How's the neck? I got mine in November 2014 and the back of the neck has got really dirty and oily because of my hands and playing. Would like to find out if all guitars are that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X