Floating Tremolo Spring Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating Tremolo Spring Position

I wanted to know what is the better way and more tension of these 2 spring positions. I would also like to know what peoples setups are.

the angled springs will add a very small amount of tension just like tightening the screws a little. as far as one better than the other, I do not think it to make any difference. I prefer haven my Floyd really light to the touch so I like to run 2 springs but have to really tighten them to hold the bridge level. this does how ever make tuning stability a challenge! if you do not use the floyd a lot, more springs(4 or 5) greatly improves the stability!

Comment

i prefer 4 springs on my floyd.. i used to use 3 until recently but 4 springs to me just feels better and more stable..
      GEAR:
      #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
      #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
      #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
      #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
      #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
      AMPS:
      1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
      ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

My guitars are all varied.
        Two springs. 3 springs. 4 springs.
        I have a 3 spring set like ll__\ and some /_l_\ or l_l_l
        Some of my blocks have grooves which only let the springs run straight, while others are smooth and let me decide.

On other words, there is no right and no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
          I'm not a physics kinda guy but a few things:

at angled springs, the outer ones are stretched a bit more than if they were straight, if these are truly linear curve springs, applying more (or less) force will result in a linear reaction
          If not (which I would find close to impossible on non-progressive wound springs unless we were talking about Bi-metal springs) the moment you are before/beyond a certain value of force, is sooner/later than if the springs were straight
          (I'm missing some basic understanding here, there's my theory that 1 of the 3 springs is operating on lower force, which could also result in a different feel)

Then there's also the angle vs the direction of force applied(/relieved), straight mounted springs will move in one direction only (in the Image - Up or Down) whereas angled springs move up/down as well as a little outward/inward
          (more travel) so there should be a small change (if noticeable) in the feel of the tremolo
          Last edited by Nightbat; 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM.
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'm a straight spring kind of guy. That's just how I roll. I never really got why you would angle the springs to get more tension as opposed to tightening down the spring claw screws. It's illogical. Spock would not approve.

Comment

I imagine your string gauge and tuning will also come into play on how your trem feels overall. But I use 4 springs straight.

Comment

Enterprise to Capt Kirk: Spock's dead, so fuck what he'd approve

Depending on who makes the guitar, you can't always go deeper on the claw screws. I've had a couple where they apparently calculated how long a screw they needed and how deep it had to go. Any further and it caused other problems, or just wouldn't go.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  I'm not a physics kinda guy but a few things:

at angled springs, the outer ones are stretched a bit more than if they were straight,

THis assumes that the claw is straight.
                  But if you adjust the claw to bring the trem to 0, there is no guarantee that it is straight. Your springs are probably lopsided.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    THis assumes that the claw is straight.
                    But if you adjust the claw to bring the trem to 0, there is no guarantee that it is straight. Your springs are probably lopsided.
                    ???
                    No matter how you angle the claw, the center spring will always remain straight in the direction of movement of the trem, whereas the angled outer springs will never be able to become perfectly parallel to the center spring

You may be able to angle the claw in such a way that ONE outer spring is equal in tension to the center spring, but this will only result in a higher tension of the other outer spring and then again, the equal tension outer spring will still be at an angle compared to the center one
                    Unlike the center spring, the outer springs WILL move a little sideways during their travel, because their movement is not in a straight line

The character (and direction) of force changes when you place an object (the spring) at an angle, but how much would be noticeable in a tremolo system I don't know

*Go easy on me, technical English is a whole other discipline than everyday conversations if it's not your native tongue
                    Last edited by Nightbat; 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM.

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You are correct.
                      I am just stating that 'equal' pressure/distance isn't a necessity.

Take a look at *THIS PICTURE*
                      That claw is angled. If those springs were put on straight, the one on the left would be stretched further than the one on the right.

Comment

Indeed, that's a scenario I didn't dare touch
                        I'd hate to be the guy calculating that picture

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I am trying the 3 ||| method on my DXMG, it was setup like /|\ It seems the bottom spring when running ||| is going to hit the side of the trem cavity, anyone else ever encountered this?

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
                            I am trying the 3 ||| method on my DXMG, it was setup like /|\ It seems the bottom spring when running ||| is going to hit the side of the trem cavity, anyone else ever encountered this?
                            Yes, in my BC Rich Warlock that spring also sits very close to the wall.

Comment

And we're back to angling the outer springs because of that

Alternatively, you can put the springs in the 2-3-4 slots rather than the 1-3-5. That way they're straight and not touching the outer walls on either side.

Or, reverse-angle them - put the pins in the 2-3-4 holes of the block and the loops on the 1-3-5 tabs of the claw. Ooooh, edgy!
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X