Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Series Vs. Pro Series - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Series Vs. Pro Series - What do you think?

Hey guys,

I have a great deal on a Mex. Charvel San Dimas and I think about buyin' a Rhoads or King V (for Ratt, W.A.S.P., 80s Glam Rock/Metal), too.
    So I was looking around for a snow white KVXMG or a RRXT. There are also very cool looking KVMGs oder RRTs... It's India versus Indonesia: Which factory brings out "better" guitars?

I do like passive pickups much more than EMGs so I won't pay for the more expensive electric. When buying a Rhoads I prefer a non-trem version. So less expensive on this one .

Thank you guys! (...please excuse my bad english)

I have neither of the recent stuff but Pro Series is a step up from the X. For the most part, the X Series are good. As with any level, you can always end up with a lemon, it's just suppose to be less likely the higher you go but we've been seeing some pretty shitty examples out of the custom shop, so who knows....................

Comment

Last summer I got a Pro Series KVT and an X Series KVXT. Pro has Duncan Distortions, X has EMG-HZs. The X is noticeably lighter but in terms of playability and general build quality they're pretty much even. I like the feel of the Pro's unfinished neck just a bit more, but I probably notice it more because the X is the only one I have with a painted neck. They both could use better tuners but that's the only real issue I can think of, and it's probably going to be common across the board from Pro-series on down to JS. All things considered I would easily buy another Pro or X series, it'd come down to what guitar had what features or finish rather than what series it was from. Unless you get one with a manufacturing defect, you probably can't go wrong either way.

Comment

I'm in a similar debate right now.

If you're buying new though, good chance you won't find Indian Jacksons anymore; Jackson doesn't produce any guitars in India anymore for a few years now. So it's one Indonesian manufacturer vs. another Indonesian manufacturer, or perhaps even the same manufacturer depending on what model you go with. Rhoads, like all signature guitars tend to cost more than similar non-signature models.

I have a X-Warrior. I find the X-Series a bit expensive for what you're getting: basswood, rosewood, FR Special. It's a good guitar no doubt but for the price there are better deals out there. Problem is you can only get some guitars in X, like the Warrior, Kelly, and 24 fret RR.

The Pro line is more in line with prices from the competition. Specs are fantastic: alder or mahogany, ebony, FR1000, oiled neck, direct-mount pickups, coil tap on the KVMG. You're limited with regards to the shapes a bit. And of course their price is pretty steep. But there lots of refurbished ones out there though. Not sure why. Those cost about the same as an X series.

So if you can afford it, go for a Pro. There's the KVTQ which has passives and fixed bridge. Electronics and pickups rarely make a price difference as Jackson mixes up the features.

Comment

Pro series guitars have "real" Floyds (either 1000 or Original) where the X series has the FR Specials. Also, you get ebony fingerboards and oiled necks with the Pros. For the most part the Pros just have higher end hardware/materials/features. The price difference between the series reflects the build differences and maybe the quality control. Haven't played stuff from either series (KEXMG soon I hope) but I would Imagine that they feel relatively similar and like SeanKV said it will mostly come down to a guitars features/finish rather than the series it's from.

That being said I wish there was a Pro series Kelly.
          2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
          Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
          Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
          Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

Oh, so the X-Series is "made in Indonesia", too, but at another plant?

Comment

I have X-series King-V and Pro RR, both with floyd rose and there is big difference between special and 1000.
              Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
              Jackson "Phobia" King-V
              BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
              SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
              Laney TF300
              Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robbin-King-Crosby View Post
                Oh, so the X-Series is "made in Indonesia", too, but at another plant?
                Yes, all X-Series and all Pro are currently made in Indonesia, plus the JS Kelly. Up to 2014 most X and Pro were made by the same WMI plant. These days you're starting to see more X models made by Cort, and some Pro models made by Samick.

Comment

I know the Cort guitars. They're great instruments. So I think the X-Series are built well also...?!
                  Well, I never played an indian built Jackson so I cannot compare their quality!

Comment

My Indian Warrior is well-built for the most part. It has some defects too, both in finishing and manufacture, but good chance you'll find that with all guitars, including US Jacksons, unfortunately. It is unusually and suspiciously light though. A WMI RRXMG that I messed around with felt much more substantial. One thing I like about my Warrior is that the rosewood fretboard is nice dark and even colored, looks almost like ebony. It's the same with all WMI X Series. Cort on the other hand uses very light and uneven colored rosewood. But all these companies know, or should know how to build good guitars.

Comment

The Indian made guitars basically got a 'bad name'...for lack of a better term...because of some entry level JS series guitars being low quality. I've heard many stories of sharp fret ends on the older JS models, for example.

The Indian made X series models seemed to have a much better reputation.

Even the new JS series guitars which are made in China (except for the aforementioned Kelly) are getting great reviews.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                        Problem is you can only get some guitars in X, like the Warrior, Kelly, and 24 fret RR.
                        The JS Series does the Warrior, Kelly & 24 fret Rhoads

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                          The JS Series does the Warrior, Kelly & 24 fret Rhoads
                          Right, I was leaving out the JS Series because the question was more about X and Pro.

Comment

The Indian made X series models seemed to have a much better reputation.
                            my soloist was made in india according to the little label on the back of the headstock. it seems to be a well finished guitar. well fretted, bound and painted. it did have one little problem that I immediately took care of.

the locking nut was a bit tall. I know I could have probably ordered a shorter one but the nut shelf was plenty beefy enough so I made a little sanding block with a fixture rail attached to the side of it and cut the shelf down. I used a little fence on the side of the block to contact the fretboard when my desired depth was reached and stop me from being able to cut more than I wanted.

I have started to wonder if mine is actually an "x" series because all the white ones ive seen in those models is like super snow white, and mine is ever so slightly off white.

whatever it is seems to be a nice player. I will be keeping it
                            1959 Gibson ES175D natural/bigsby
                            2012 Jackson Soloist SLX white Floyd Rose Special
                            2012 Jackson RRXMG Matte Black Floyd Rose Special
                            2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

I picked up a 2012 Indonesian King V a couple of years ago and it is not a bad guitar at all. Neckthrough, ebony board, and is an all-around great-quality instrument. I've had a few Pros and USAs over the years, and this particular KV is scary-close to the 1990 Pro models. I was able to set the action stupid low without issues.

As for which Floyd is which - they're held on by string and spring tension, not carved into the wood. That means you don't need a 4th grade diploma to change one out.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X