No announcement yet.

NGD: Jackson Kelly Quilt Maple Top Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Performer series was a little lower end than Professional. Could be poplar or alder, as they sound similar. I've got a Professional Dinky HX that's poplar and is very light in weight, but poplar can also be heavy. I believe my old Charvel Model 6 was poplar, and it was on the heavier side.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
      Are these Performer models supposed to be mid-higher range or mid-lower range? If the former than there's a good change it's alder but if the latter then most likely poplar. I don't know much about Japanese models, but the absence of sharkfin inlays tells me these are lower range models.
      It turns out the pick-ups in it are Dimarzios. I think two super distortions. I just paid to have it cleaned and set-up. This is the best deal I've ever gotten on a metal guitar.!!! Thanks for the info guys! I'll keep this beast forever.

Once this thing is set-up properly and ran through my Crate Stealth 50 Watt combo, it will be 80s metal Tone Valhalla.

Comment

Both the 1996 and 1998 Jackson price lists say alder body.
        The Performers would be comparable to the current X series... between the entry level JS series and the Pro series.
        Poplar has been used on a lot of USA Jacksons over the years, so price wouldn't have any bearing on poplar being used.

edit: My mistake. The PS6T isn't listed in the '96 catalogue or price list. It's listed in the '97 catalogue as Poplar and the '98 catalogue as poplar. The '98 price list says alder.

The catalogues contain errors, so I wouldn't trust the price list.

I'm thinking they're poplar. The '97 catalogues says all Performers come with solid alder or poplar bodies. '97 is also the first year the PS6T is featured.
        Last edited by Mudlark; 06-19-2015, 04:07 PM.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That's pretty neat. A lower-mid level guitar with an alder body. I wish the X-Series were at least mahogany not basswood.

Comment

If you dare to trust the catalogues, 3 Performer models (PS3-PS3T-PS6T) were poplar, and 5 models were alder.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Man, I wish I knew!!!!!

Dude I have not ever been so stoked about a guitar after finding out about this being MIJ and having 2 dimarzio pick-ups. I had it professionally cleaned and set-up today; I haven't been this excited about a guitar in forever. What a freaking find.

Comment

I think I've ever only had one poplar bodied guitar; The guitar is heavy... it seems like it weighs like 10 pounds. Either way, the veneer top is absolutely gorgeous. I am absolutely in love with this guitar. But then again, I only collect vintage metal axes when I can help it, and this is one of the finest ones I have across. I think that this is nicer than my Czech Dean Caddy; another amazing value instrument.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Guys, I got this cleaned up and intonated. And all that I can say is, out of all of the guitars I've had in the past year, that I listed above. This is one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. The super distortion in the NECK sounds absolutely *AMAZING* clean. I recommend putting 2 super distortions in these... I would rather part with my kidney than this Jackson Kelly Performer.

I picked up this hot ass hell guitar and a hot ass hell girlfriend on the same day; best two acquisitions ever. I got a pic of her holdin it in daisy dukes.

Comment

Nice! Can't go wrong with a Super Distortion. I've got a Super D with a Super 2 in one of my Carvins, absolutely killer. The Super 2 is brighter, and I think it works great in the neck, one of my favorite pickups.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ive considered one of those pickups. prolly give them a try soon
                      1959 Gibson ES175D natural/bigsby
                      2012 Jackson Soloist SLX white Floyd Rose Special
                      2012 Jackson RRXMG Matte Black Floyd Rose Special
                      2010 Agile AL3000 Ebony

Comment

Working...
                      X