Neck construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck construction

With all those oiled neck Pro Jacksons, I'm noticing that there's a difference in how the neck is made for different models and by different plants. Some are 3-piece + the tip of the headstock. Others have a construction similar to the one used by the Japanese plant--what looks like one piece neck with the entire headstock glued to it at an angle. Is there any advantage/disadvantage, or good reason for that matter, for one type of construction versus the other?

Strat head necks have the fingerboard glued on solid maple.
    Pointy head necks are two piece with a scarf joint. The scarf joint makes the neck much stronger that why they make them that way.
    Back in the early days they used a 3 piece maple neck on the neck thru guitars like the soloist and RR models.
    All are strong necks no real advantage one over the other. IMO.
    All of the factories used the same construction whether a bolt on or neck thru.
    Last edited by straycat; 06-03-2015, 02:35 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Stray, the newer ones do seem to be different. My Indonesian RRTMG is a 3 piece maple neckthru. No scarf joint.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

No scarf joint on my Indonesian KV, either.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What is a scarf joint?

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
            What is a scarf joint?
            The simplest description, although not 100% accurate is this:
            Its when they take the same piece of wood and cut it in half at an angle. And then spin one half around to make it go off in a different direction.
            So, instead of having this __ you have this _/

My question, since we are asking them...

What do we call when the heel and horns are sculpted?
            Like these two:

Comment

Scalloped heel and scalloped horn.

A scarf joint is technically referred to as a Spanish Luthier's joint, where the headstock and a portion of the neck (up to the first 3 frets) are made from wood cut at an angle different from the neck (flatsawn head with quarter-sawn neck, etc). This puts perpendicular lines crossing each other, which adds greater stability as opposed to if the neck and head were all one piece.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This is a scarf joint.
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                X