KEXMG vs JS32 Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KEXMG vs JS32 Kelly

I’ve had my eye on the X series Kellys ever since they were first released. But now the JS series has become more appealing (with basswood bodies, binding and shark fins) and there is a smaller difference between it and the X series so now I am trying to decide between the two guitars.

I have owned a KV JS32T (2011? about when they added the shark fins), a DKMG and currently have an Epiphone Explorer. The V was decent but I mainly bought it because it looked nice and to have a backup to my DKMG. I put EMG 81/85 set in it and it played pretty well. The DKMG was awesome. It was really well built, had a fast neck and looked amazing (trans red on flame maple with the inverse headstock) the only thing was I didn’t really like the strat shape. The high frets sat to far across my body so it was hard to play them. Whereas the high frets are more accessible on a V or explorer shape because the front strap button is right behind the high frets.

From Jackson’s website the specs between the KEXMG and JS Kelly are pretty similar the main differences being:

-pickups (EMG 81-85 set vs Jackson high-output)
    -neck construction and finish (neck-through and gloss or bolt-on and satin)
    -tremolo type (Floyd Rose Special or Jackson Licensed FR)

Other than that both guitars:

-are made from basswood
    -have maple necks
    -have rosewood fingerboards
    -have binding
    -have the same tuners
    -and have similar quality of electronics (I’m assuming if anyone could comment more on this that would be great)

The pickup difference is not a big deal as I can just buy different ones for the JS Kelly. Probably EMGs but there is still an option of choosing something else.

The neck-through construction definitely would feel better on the high frets and gives the guitar a nicer look but I’m concerned about a few things. Any neck damage to a neck-through guitar is going to cost a lot to fix, or the guitar is completely wrecked (should be a low chance of this happening though). My second concern is the gloss finish on the KEXMG neck is slower compared to satin on the JS. Apparently you can sand down gloss necks to make them satin. Finally the front strap button on the KEXMG appears to be in a better location than the JS Kelly to prevent neck dive and be more comfortable to play.

Now in the case of trems my DKMG had a Jackson LFR JT-580LP and I thought it was pretty good. I shimmed the trem arm get rid of the wiggle and for the most part it stayed in tune and didn’t give me any problems. However, I never wailed on it super hard or had anything to compare it to. I have done a bit of research and keep getting mixed reviews about the two trems. What I have gathered is that the FR Special is a good trem just made out of cheaper material than the OFR but all parts are interchangeable (changing the sustain block is mentioned a lot). The Jackson LFRs have mixed reviews, mainly due to there being so many variants, for the most part sound like they are lower quality than the Special but from my experience do the trick.

To sum it up I am looking to get something that feels as good as my DKMG did so I am leaning towards the KEXMG because it is in the same price range. But, from the specs it seems like the JS Kelly could be nearly as good as the KEXMG with a few upgrades if the build quality is there. I have yet to get my hands on either to test them out but no stores near me have them in stock. Obviously this would be the best comparison but it is what it is. I play a few hours or so a day and don’t have a band, just occasional jams, but would still like to have something that looks and performs well. So let’s hear it is the X series the obvious choice or could the JS series stack up and save me a bit of cash.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gnarzan; 04-27-2015, 10:55 PM. Reason: wrong fingerboard wood
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Neither have ebony boards, they're rosewood.

The X series is a step up from the JS series but the JS have become a pretty insane entry level axe. Another addition is they now use the speed neck profile, shred city here we come.

Comment

Yep rosewood thanks Force

Originally posted by Force View Post
      The X series is a step up from the JS series but the JS have become a pretty insane entry level axe.
      So there is a noticeable difference in quality between the two?

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

It'll be more apparent over time I would imagine & there's likely more chance of finding a lemon JS than an X but if you were to put them side by side, it would be hard to tell.

The only X series I have is the Adrian Smith, love it immensely. I have 3 JS, an 05 which has served me well & 2 recent ones, a 7 string & a Warrior, both of which appear to be of outstanding quality with no noticeable faults as yet, considering the basement price. All 3 play superbly & have no mods.

Comment

Since I've bought both a JS and X series guitar since the beginning of the year I have to say that the X series seems a little more solid, but both are leaps and bounds better than expected. I would go with the x myself based solely on the neck-thru. Honestly tho, you really can't go wrong with either.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Thanks for the input! Definitely leaning to the KEXMG. Good to hear that the JS series are good guitars.

Peavey 5150 II

Comment

I suspect the X has better electronics since it's active vs the JS passive. For whatever it's worth, both are even made at the same Cort plant in Indonesia.

I also prefer neck-through and that would be a huge factor. However, I think that the Jackson X-Series is a tad overpriced for what it is, especially when it comes to Rhoads and Kelly models. At that price they ought to be made of mahogany and come with an ebony fretboard in my view, just to be more competitive.

Comment

They were both made in China last I heard.
                Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                For whatever it's worth, both are even made at the same Cort plant in Indonesia.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Don't know when that was, but currently they are made in Indonesia, even the JS Kelly series which surprised me, since most JS are made in China.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  They were both made in China last I heard.

Comment

Here's a 2015.. CWJ15xxxxx...made in China JS32M.
                    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jackson-JS32M...item3cf77dc231

I do know some JS series are Indonesian. A 7 string model comes to mind.
                    Last edited by Mudlark; 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I think it really comes down to whether you like neckthroughs or not. I have a KEXTMG and love it.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Right, but that's a Dinky. I was referring to Kellys exclusively.

Comment

Gotcha. That's the only 2015 I've seen.
                          It's always interesting to see where the new models are coming from each year.

Comment

The trem on that JS32M Dinky is interesting. "Jackson by Floyd Rose". Looks like a regular FR baseplate as well. Jackson branded FR special? Or something new, one level beneath a special?

Should make it easy upgrading to an OFR without huge gaps in the route..?
                            https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I suspect it's just a regular licensed one but with prettier labeling.
                              BC Rich is doing the same on the Warlock Core X. There it says "R-Lock by Floyd Rose." On the website then it says "Deluxe R-Lock Floyd Rose Officially Licensed". Whether a "deluxe" licensed is an improvement over a regular licensed I'm not sure. In the case of the JS Dinky I suspect it's no better than the one they were using a year before.

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                              The trem on that JS32M Dinky is interesting. "Jackson by Floyd Rose". Looks like a regular FR baseplate as well. Jackson branded FR special? Or something new, one level beneath a special?

Should make it easy upgrading to an OFR without huge gaps in the route..?

Comment

Working...
                              X