Help with repainting 90s Rhoads Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with repainting 90s Rhoads Pro

I've emailed a number of people trying to get someone to repaint my early 90s Rhoads Pro but I don't know what to do about the headstock. It has the mother of pearl "Jackson" with the word professional in white. Everyone has said there's no way to paint the headstock since they can't duplicate/get the logos. Anyone ever run into this? Really don't want to paint it if it doesn't have a matching headstock, whether it's a flame top or custom color.

Masking tape, Exacto knife, and a LOT of patience...

Or maybe you could get a local sign shop to scan/cut you a new decal??? Just make sure the decal vinyl is compatible with whatever clearcoat you use.
    Last edited by Metal Spawn; 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

When I had my Charvel repainted, he just covered the logo. The painter kind of blended the color into the black background. It only worked because there wasn't any damage to the headstock in that area. The logo sat on a black background and I was having it painted black. So, if your painting black against a black background have your guy try it.

Comment

Mike Learn actually said he could mask it off, not doubting his skills but that word "professional" is quite small. Jackson stated they're not allowed to sell the logo, few places I asked only had the Jackson in white not MOP. Etepbbb you have any pics of your headstock? I guess a flame top with a matching headstock is out of the question

Comment

Yea, the only way is to mask it off. Here's one place I saw that at least had different colors. http://www.guitarvinyl.com/index.php...id=14&Itemid=1
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I could use that site for when I paint my COW7, thanks for that link. They along with 2 other places stated they couldn't get it in MOP
            Contacted a few more people all with the same result. Anyone know where to get "professional" in white?

Comment

What kind of fretboard wood do you have?

Also, when you refer to get a flametop finish on your guitar are you referring to flame maple (like a Les Paul with some kind of transparent color or burst) or hotrod flames like classic Charvels?

Comment

Flame maple, sorry about that, not fire flames. All my guitars have ebony boards.

Comment

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
                  They're cell phone pics, but they'll work. The painter masked the logo and painted around it, I think it looks great. I only had it done that way because I wanted to keep the pointy headstock Charvel logo, you can't find replacements like that. All I've ever found are the 3x3 logo's, is it a big deal? No, but I like it better this way. Also threw a whole guitar pic in just for fun, my Charvel Model 5A.
                  Last edited by etepbbb; 04-21-2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Mike can mask off the MOP portion of the logo pretty easily, so you won't have to find a replacement for that.
                    As for the "Professional" part, it can be masked as well, but will probably cost more in labor.
                    Best Decals used to sell them, but now they only carry the "Concept" version. Not sure why they stopped making the "Professional" logos.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Down-Nola View Post
                      Flame maple, sorry about that, not fire flames. All my guitars have ebony boards.
                      If you want a matching flame maple headstock then the headstock will have to be stripped and the flame maple laminated on. Disregarding that, an ebony board with a black headstock will look great.

What is the wood on the body right now? Is it flame maple now and you just want to change the color? If not are you or have you bought a replacement body? I'm just trying to clarify what you have and what you're trying to do.

I take you know that flame maple cannot just be painted on. The body either has it or it doesn't.

Comment

I believe the body has poplar wings with a maple neck. Really truly doesn't matter what I choose as a finish. If it doesn't have a matching headstock I won't do it. If Mike can mask off the letters I'm all for it. Just looking for someone with experience in the matter. I honestly can't stand a colored body guitar with a black headstock. Looks incredibly out of place for me.

Etepbbb if you wouldn't have said it had been painted I wouldn't have ever known. They did a great job.

Comment

If you want the headstock done well then contact Mike Learn. He's a master when it comes to refinishing and making guitars. He's also a certified Jackson repair center. I've had him refinish 7 guitars and he made me a custom guitar from scratch. He's awesome.

Comment

Mike Learn can do it. He re-did my guitar with a matching head stock and masked around the Logo, including MADE IN USA. He can do it.

Before

After

Comment

try my buddy stike @ rowycokustoms.com
                              Generic Hustle on Abstract Logix

Horns Up fo' DED MULLET!!

Comment

Working...
                              X