Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Stars RR J1

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 USA DK1 and two RRs (one RR3 and a Jackson Stars RR J2SP) and I dont get on with the DK1, the v shape suits better for me.
    So I would like to sell the DK1 and get another RR for it, and I was looking for a guitar similar to the specs of the RR1, but here in germany I have to spend at least 1500€ or more for a used one, and thats too much for me, even for a used guitar. Also, the RR1 has "only" 22 frets.

So is was searching on the internet and then there was the J2SP in my mind and I looked for Jackson Stars, since they had some pretty cool models at the time I bought the J2SP (2008). I found a RR J1 for around 900€ and want to know if the guitar is worth it. It is used and got some scratches here and there, but actually seems to be in a good overall condition.

Any thoughts about it? How can I expect the guitar in terms of build quality and playability? On the same level like a RR1 or my J2SP (the J2SP is pretty awesome by the way)?

Thank you

Greetings from germany
    Daniel

Edit: Information for the Jackson Stars RRV Rhoads would be pretty nice as well.
    Last edited by Reapy; 03-10-2015, 07:53 AM.

Well, I've got 4 Jackson Stars and are my most worderful guitars.
    From a J1, expect ash wings, maple thru neck, ebony fretboard, real MOP, OFR, an excellent quality construction... an excellent guitar. I think for 900€ these guitars worth it.
    There are many models of RRV... I've got a RR138 and not a top-end, but really a nice guitar!

Where have you found this J1? I'm looking for a SL-TN02 in trans red finish.

Greetings from Spain.
    Daniel (also)
    Last edited by Botijo; 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

If you're looking at the one for sale through Ishibashi, up until a few weeks ago they had two apparently mint RR-TN01s for near identical money, one black and one gun metal blue, so you may wish to consider hanging on even though they don't come up often. IIRC, the J1 was more expensive than the J2SP when new, so that should give you some idea what to expect. As you're in Europe, you might also consider joining the Jackson Guitar Palace forum, if you haven't already, as you may find something already in Europe from there. Good luck with the hunt.

Comment

So the TN-01 is better than the J1?
        Didnt know about this forum, I will look tomorrow, thanks

Comment

Get an RR24XT.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Reapy View Post
            So the TN-01 is better than the J1?
            Didnt know about this forum, I will look tomorrow, thanks
            TN-01 are newer than J1, mahogany vs. ash. I think the rest is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
              Get an RR24XT.
              Not the same thing; Rosewood fretboard vs. ebony, pearloid inlays vs. MOP, printed logo vs. MOP,fixed bridge vs. floyd..

I tried to buy a Stars TN-01 from Ishibashi, but they never answered to my emails. So I bought a RR Pro from a local seller and I am happy with that; Of course it has only 22 frets and Schaller trem instead of OFR but those things do not bother me. It´s build quality is as good as my RR1´s, I think, and it´s neck is thinner which I like.

If I have understood things correctly RR Pro and Stars TN-01 are pretty much the same thing, if Schaller-OFR and 22-24 frets does not matter to you. Both are made by same japanese factory, Chushin Gakki.
              My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Okay, but the Pro isnt easy to find. I looked for one sime time ago and now I cant find one too.

For the J1, i would spend a total of 1281€ with shipping and import tax. I have to think about it but if I sell my DK1 for around 1300-1400€ it would be okay.

Ishibashi has this RRV Stars and I wonder where the difference between the two models is. The RRV has an OFR too, ebony fretboard and EMGs instead of the SD. No MOP logo and inlays I think, but it would be much cheaper.

Aww, I hate to search for new guitars and decide what to do/buy :/

Comment

Originally posted by Reapy View Post
                  Ishibashi has this RRV Stars and I wonder where the difference between the two models is. The RRV has an OFR too, ebony fretboard and EMGs instead of the SD. No MOP logo and inlays I think, but it would be much cheaper.

Aww, I hate to search for new guitars and decide what to do/buy :/
                  RRV has striped ebony (lighter color, wood lines visible), pearloid inlays and usually a Schaller trem, If I remember correctly. Otherwise I think it should be a nice RR model.
                  Last edited by Zedder; 03-11-2015, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it would be more like my J2SP.
                    Depending on 500€ difference I could give it a try. I have made the experience that guitars with an ebony fretboard cant be bad, because ebony isnt used on cheap models. At leats among the bigger companies.
                    I will try to lower the price for the J1, otherwise the RRV could be a nice deal too. Do you think the diffetence fron RRV to J1 is worth 500€? I dont think the Schaller floyd is worse than the original one (I own both in other guitars).

Comment

I would not buy a Jackson Stars RRV, I´d get a RRXMG instead. I already have two of them.. It is much cheaper and easier to find and its only "problem" is Floyd Rose Special which can be replaced with an OFR very easily.

Comment

I thought about the RRMG pro already. The pro because I want a guitar with ebony fretboard (it looks sooooo good, especially with white/ivory binding). But I think that the japan Jacksons are much better than indonesia. I already played a RRMG pro and it was "okay". And 800€ for just okay isnt a good deal in my opinion. Possibly i just got a model with a bad setup, but the guitar itself didnt feel good for me.

I thought about Jackson Stars because my J2SP is awesome and I expect them to be better than the ones from indonesia...at least i think so.
                        Even my RR3 feels better than the RRMG pro, although it wasnt that expensive.

Comment

I meant RRXMG, which has 24 frets, (I have two older ones which were made in India, now they make them in Indonesia):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_rrxmg_rhoads_bk.htm

RRMGs have only 22 frets and those silly alumiloid inlays.

If you prefer darker fretboard it is possible to "ebonize" it, I did that on my black RRXMG.
                          --
                          RRMXG is the most comfortable guitar for me so far; It has thinnest neck profile of all my RRs, Its very light weight and it has easiest upper fret access.
                          Last edited by Zedder; 03-11-2015, 05:03 AM.

Comment

The neck is the point. I love thicker profiles, like on the J2SP. The RR3 has a thin neck, its cool anyway, but the J2SP is similar to the RR24 I think, I love that way more.

Its funny but I also like the fact that Jackson Stars models are very rare here, so it feels like something special...unfortunately, Im a bit fixated on this guitars.
                            But thanks for the tip with the ebonizing, gonna try that on my RR3

So, can someone say something about the RRV?

Edit: I ordered the J1, it seems to be the best deal for me. I searched very long now and cant find anything what suits better for me. Now I pay a total of 1280€ for guitar, shipping and taxes, I think its okay.
                            Also I dont want to trade the fantastic DK1 for something worse, and I should be able to sell the DK1 for more than I pay for the J1 with import taxes. At least I hope so
                            Thank you for your help. I will tell you about the guitar when it arrives
                            Last edited by Reapy; 03-11-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I hope the J1 works out.

The TN-01/02 were replacements for J1/J2 and Botijo is correct that there was a move from ash to mahogany. A forum member here generously has scans of the catalogues online, so you can see the specs for yourself:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?content%2FGuitar_catalog_scans%2FJackson_Charvel% 2F

One thing to bear in mind is that semi-custom options on J1/J2 guitars, which were like the current USA Custom Select, were inexpensive so you do see differences in some guitars. Several were ordered in funny colours, different woods, etc.. I even have a 7 string J. Stars Kelly. Personally, I would have probably bought a second hand USA guitar within the EU, particularly with the Euro crashing in value. Admittedly you won't find a 24 fret USA RR for that money and I don't doubt the J1 will be a good guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X