question about guitar ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about guitar ID

Hi there, I am kinda new to Jackson's and I have a Kelly std that I play.. I also picked up a second Jackson that I think is a dinky but am unsure.
    the serial is 9737094.. any info would be great.. its got some chips in it so it might become a project. the pickups say emghz on them.. any thoughts on these? I am looking for the Metallica/ Avenged Sevenfold sound..
    thanks guys
    hope the pics come out.
    Roy

the fact that it is a bolt on implies that it is a dinky.
    Dinky isn't so much a model (in the modern era) as it is a description.
    Soloist = neck thru
    Dinky = bolt on

Comment

That's a DXMGT from about 2005.
      To my knowledge they were a limited run through Guitar Center and they don't appear in any catalogues. They only came with EMGhz's as far as I know.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

thanks for the reply... how are the EMGhz's for a metal pickup.. is this something I should just play and leave alone or tinker with it and maybe make a project.

Comment

I've got no experience with them. As with all pickups, some people think they're fine other people hate them.
          Maybe someone else will chime in...
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Depends on which model they are. I had a set of HZ-3s that were more of a PAF-type with ceramic magnets, like a Duncan Custom. They sound good with the Afterburner/Turbocharger circuit, but it doesn't appear yours has that. I've read that the HZ-4s were the higher-output model, similar to a Duncan Distortion or JB.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Plug it in and hear it roar. I have one with blackout in it and like it for the most part. I honestly couldn't bond with the EMG-HZs that were in another guitar. They sounded a little mushy to me. Best thing you could do is play em for a bit and see if you like them.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

+1 mushy
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                X