Jackson Rhoads 2000 vs JS30RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads 2000 vs JS30RR

Hello, name is AJ and I am new to the forum. I currently have a Jackson King V KVXMG, and love the thing. Only issue is that it has a floyd rose special which I haven't any issues with, and don't mind to much. Other than as you all know, it's not the best thing for quickly changing tuning. So I was looking to get a 2nd cheaper Jackson just for when I want to screw around in different tunings. I was looking online and found the Rhoads JS30RR used are basically what I am looking for, and in the price I am looking for. I've seen a bunch of the Rhoads from around 2000 advertised, but they only say the year and not the model. What's the difference between the ones made in 2000s, and the JS30RR? I know the JS30, and JS32 it's small things like the inlays and such. Forgive me if this is already been discussed. I tried searching around the forum, but didn't have much luck with an answer. Also, the Japanese Jacksons will all have Performer on them, correct?

Welcome AJ.
    I may be corrected, but I think the JS30RR was first available around '04-'05... Indian cedro body and made in India. The serial numbers are date coded on those models if you want the year, ex: 2005xxxx='05 or 05xxxxxx='05. Before '04ish, the RR models I can think of are the PS3 and PS3T Performer made in Japan and Korea, JRR '94 Concept made in Japan, the Japanese RR3 and the RX10 which was made in Japan and India if I'm not mistaken. There were some other models I'm sure I can't recall and of course the entire Japanese Professional series.

Edit: The PS3 and Concept are string thru body, I don't think the RR3 is available without a trem and I'm not sure if the RX10 was available without a trem.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot the string thru RR5 was available in the early 2000's.
    Last edited by Mudlark; 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I think the string through PS3s were the '2000s' models I saw. Any real advantage to the Japanese model vs the newer JS30RR? I hear a lot of people say the Japanese models are better, but never with an explanation why. I would assume just better build due to workers and mass production. They are going for roughly around the same price.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I think the string through PS3s were the '2000s' models I saw. Any real advantage to the Japanese model vs the newer JS30RR? I hear a lot of people say the Japanese models are better, but never with an explanation why. I would assume just better build due to workers and mass production. They are going for roughly around the same price.

Also, if it's a '2000s' model, but just says 'Jackson' on it without Performer or anything else. Those were still Japanese made too?

Comment

Why are the Japan-built ones better? Simple... build quality. I've been the owner of an RR built in Japan and while it's not on par with the U.S. built ones I've played, they're damn close. Only problem I see with them is the word is out thus prices are starting to rise on them. IMO you can't go wrong with one.
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

The 'Performer' logo was dropped around 2000 along with the series. The Japanese made the Pro series guitars up until '11 when the factory closed, so the pro specs are better than the entry level Indian made JS series. Alder, Poplar and Basswood were available for some of the models I mentioned earlier as opposed to Indian Cedro on the JS... and the pups and tremolo would be an upgrade on the Japanese models usually. The Japanese guitars have a great reputation for being built very well also.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              The 'Performer' logo was dropped around 2000 along with the series.
              My Performer has a neck stamp from July 2001.

Jackson PS-2
              Performer Series
              Transparent Purple

Body stamped 2001.7.12 and 8-1
              neck 7-13 and 6T

Serial 9660635
              Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Ahh...I stand corrected.
                They aren't listed in the 2001 catalogue, but I guess it's not surprising some went into 2001.

Comment

Ahh...I stand corrected.
                  They aren't listed in the 2001 catalogue, but I guess it's not surprising some went into 2001.
                  Just as easily could be a stamp error, lol.
                  That era Jackson was --- quirky. Errors in dating could definitely make sense.

Not that my 1988 Jackson(TM) Strat is any less of an anomaly.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. Turned out the early 2000's Jackson I was looking at turned out to be a post 04' Indian made one. But I love Jacksons, so I am sure if I see a deal on a Japanese one I will take it, and the info you provided helps.

Comment

I mainly play Jackson's made in japan. I got a js32t kelly (same as the js30's + sharkies) for the same reasons you did. I simply could not bond with the thing.. the build quality just isn't acceptable for me.. I ended up selling it and then found and purchased a new old stock dkmgt and she's a keeper. Just being honest. If I were you, I would go find a used Jap Jackson
                      Gear :
                      2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
                      2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
                      1997 Fender Standard Strat
                      2011 Ibanez SR 500
                      2013 Peavey Bandit 112
                      2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
                      1985 Peavey Bandit Solo 65
                      Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

Originally posted by yostinator View Post
                        I mainly play Jackson's made in japan. I got a js32t kelly (same as the js30's + sharkies) for the same reasons you did. I simply could not bond with the thing.. the build quality just isn't acceptable for me.. I ended up selling it and then found and purchased a new old stock dkmgt and she's a keeper. Just being honest. If I were you, I would go find a used Jap Jackson
                        What exact things did you not like that were better in the Japanese version? So I know what to look for when shopping.

Comment

Anyone with any info at all?

If holding a Japanese Jackson (ex: PS-3), and comparing it to an Indian made (JS30RR). What type things are noticeably better in the build quality of the Japanese version?

Comment

I personally believe guitars have to be judged individually since there are good and bad examples in all models, brands and price ranges. I've personally handled many dozens of models that have been available at my 2 local Jackson dealers over the last 15 or so years, and I've felt sharp fret ends on approximately 4 or 5 brand new Indian made JS series guitars. I've never felt those on Japanese models.

I should mention that the last guitar I found sharp frets on was at least 5 years ago.

Comment

I personally believe guitars have to be judged individually
                              Agreed.
                              But at the same time, certain brands and models/series have better track records. So a good place to start is, as example, Gibson not Maestro. Jackson USA has better odds of being a better guitar than a Jackson Japan which has better odds of being a better guitar than Jackson India.

But you will find diamonds and doo-doo in each. Especially when talking about the used market. Because that's more about how it was handled than how it was built.
                              I just traded a 2005 Jackson DKMG for a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Yet, there is a guy around here that has a 1985 Rhoads that he hasn't been about to sell for over a year, its now down to $600. I made sure mine plays well, his V should probably be put to rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X