'98 DK2M color question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 DK2M color question

Hi guys! This seems to be a very nice and informative forum and I'm happy to post here for the first time.

I've always had a sweet spot for Jackson and a couple of years back, I finally got myself one from a guy who seemed to be in dire need of cash at the time, so it was quite a steal. He didn't provide me with any information on the guitar though and I didn't bother too much because I thought it looked great and it seemed to be in good shape. Right now, I'm trying to compile information on all my guitars and as far as the Jackson is concerned, what I have come up with so far is that it's a Japan-made Dinky DK2M made in 1998 ("96"-serial).

Does anyone here know what the color was called? It's a metallic purple finish that is more "reddish" than blue...
    Any input on this is highly appreciated!

Greetings from Germany,
    (pheew, was a close one yesterday, right? )

Welcome to the forum. That would be a DK2 in what I believe is Deep Metallic Purple.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The DK2M model started production in 2006.
      What you have is a good looking parts guitar.

Color code on your DK2 body is DMV (Deep Metallic Violet).

Checked the color catalogs for the DK2M and metallic purple of any shade was never a color choice during production (2006-2010)
      Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-27-2014, 02:45 PM.
      -Rick

Comment

Hey you two,

thank you so much for your replies! So I have a Frankenstein. In a way, I suspected that, because I have never seen a DK2M with an HHS config or/and that color. To me the maple neck and the DMV body are a perfect match. The guitar had Duncan Designed PUs when I got it - from which I guess I could have deduced it was a DK2. I put in an SH-6 in the bridge, a Vintage Rail in the middle and a Cool Rail in the neck resulting in the most versatile guitar I have. It may be a Frankenstein - but it's a keeper!
        Thanks again for your help - highly appreciated!
        I'll celebrate with a beer now! :-)

Comment

If its important to you, the next time you have it apart, take a look at what is written inside the neck/body pockets. That's always a clue for what you have.

What is going on with the controls? One knob, one 5-postition switch... what's right underneath the pickups where the volume knob should be.

Comment

I bought a new-old stock DK2 in that color for my first Jackson in 2005. Great color. I still have it. I put an Invader in mine for kicks.

Comment

Great pic! And yepper, a frankenstein guitar but DAMN nice color against that Maple/black inlay neck! Enjoy!

Comment

Thank you all for helping to clarify on the guitar and sharing your thoughts on it!

If I ever take the guitar apart, I'll let you know if there is anything written in the pockets.

@pianoguyy: As far as the electronics are concerned, after I got the guitar I soon found that my right hand would constantly knock into the volume knob when I was playing, lowering the volume unintentionally. For me, the volume knob seemed to be positioned just a tad too close to the strings, so I had a friend of mine at http://www.edinger-guitars.de/ swap the volume for the tone control (I never use it) and put a miniswitch where the volume was. When in the upper position, the switch disconnects the pus from the jack, so it's basically a kill switch. I found that to be very handy, especially when recording and my hand doesn't knock into anything anymore. I have applied that mod to other guitars since. Good thing is, it can be undone very easily and I probably wouldn't have done it if it had required drilling another hole through the body.

Cheers to you all - also the lady holding the guitar says hi!

Comment

I can't add anything that the other guys haven't already said about what it is, but damn that looks good. The purple and the maple really go together. Great guitar!
                  I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Nice. Shame it wasn't a standard finish when they were in production. I still miss my EDS DK2M.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Color code on your DK2 body is DMV (Deep Metallic Violet).
                      Is that it? I thought DMV was darker. I used to have a mid '90s Dinky Reverse that was a metallic purple (which I thought was DMV), but it was a much darker purple, closer to black in certain light.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now that's what I call a good looking mutt, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thank you all for your help to clarify on the guitar and for your kind comments! This is indeed a nice community.

I soon found that my right hand would continually knock into the volume knob, lowering the output unintentionally as I played. It seems for me the volume knob is positioned just a tad too close to the strings. I had a friend of mine swap the volume knob for the tone knob (I rarely use it anyway) and install a mini switch where the volume used to be as you can sse in the picture. In the "up" position the switch disconnects the pu's from the output jack, making it a "kill switch" in effect. I have found that to be very helpful, esp. when recording and since there was no need to drill through the body, everything can easily be restored to the original state.

I remember reading a review for the Jackson Dinky in a guitar magazin yeras back stating that some players may find the volume knob to be too close to the strings. If I remember correctly, the author of that review was Hans Ziller, guitar player for the (then well-known) German hard rock band "Bonfire". You may remember their song "Hard on Me"; was quite a player at MTV's Headbanger's Ball back then. Ahh, the good days... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by hollautz View Post
                            I soon found that my right hand would continually knock into the volume knob, lowering the output unintentionally as I played. It seems for me the volume knob is positioned just a tad too close to the strings.
                            This is an extremely well documented complaint.

Comment

You could always plug the hole and place the volume pot where the tone is, assuming you don't use the tone.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X