Jackson DKMGT questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DKMGT questions

Hi guys. I found a new old stock Jackson DKMGT in trans red with OHSC. I have a 2010 ish KE3 Kelly in white with black pinstripes so I know what to expect quality wise. I feel those 06 - 2011 jacksons to be quite high quality and great players. I dont know how old this dkmgt is, assuming 07 - 2010. Seems like they discontinued the trans red the last year or two of japanese production. What is the most you guys would pay for a guitar this old that is certainly in brand new never sold condition from a dealer? Also, will Jackson still honor a warranty on a guitar that is this old? The dealer used to be a Jackson dealer but is no longer one.
    Gear :
    2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
    2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
    1997 Fender Standard Strat
    2011 Ibanez SR 500
    2013 Peavey Bandit 112
    2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
    1985 Peavey Bandit Solo 65
    Digitech GNX 3000

Legally, they have to honor the warranty regardless of when the product was sold or the dealer's current status.

Comment

As to the age, if it has the turbo pickups, its older.

Contrary to the misguided product flippers opinion, the t in dkmgt is the trem status, not the turbo boost.
      2 knobs = newer. 3 knobs = older.

And don't let color listings from the catalogs fool you. I have one in a color that wasn't available until 2009, the serial number suggests 2010, the dates on the neck and body say 2005.

Comment

Simply put, my 2011 DKMGT is comparable to my 2008 SL2HT in every way except price. The plastic nut wasn't cut to my liking so I replaced it with bone, which improved tuning stability and allowed for lower action. I paid $849 plus tax in late 2011 for the guitar and case and I wouldn't hesitate paying that much again for any guitar that functions as well as mine, though, I'm certain I've seen new old stock models for under $700 in the past.
        Last edited by Mudlark; 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am going to go for it. The seller assures me that it's absolutely mint never sold never displayed and comes with the OHSC. EMG'S are not my favorite pickup set, but they are great IME, and my other axes already have my favorite pickups sets. I want this one for its string through and japan made characteristics. I sometimes would rather spend more $$ to know I won't have anything to be disappointed about and if this axe plays and looks as good as my KE3, I am in for a real treat. $700 shipped is the price we agreed upon. That is still cheaper than the MiM Jacksons are going for. Changing the nut and adding a battery box is all i'll do to her. I'll post pics and run the serial # through fender's hotline when I get it
          Last edited by yostinator; 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM.
          Gear :
          2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
          2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
          2011 Ibanez SR 500
          2013 Peavey Bandit 112
          2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
          Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

STOP!!!!!!!!

This is an online deal? Not one that you saw in a store?

Comment

Yeah I know. I will have time to return it though if I don't like what I see. The guitar has been kept in a climate controlled storage situation. The dude has rare collectible guitars on his site, so I don't doubt it.. Hoping to score one of the last mint Jap Jacksons.. I haven't been able to bond with the import stuff since japanese production ceased
              Gear :
              2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
              2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
              2011 Ibanez SR 500
              2013 Peavey Bandit 112
              2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
              Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

I found it through much deep searching too.. it wasnt on ebay or anything like that
                Gear :
                2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
                2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
                2011 Ibanez SR 500
                2013 Peavey Bandit 112
                2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
                Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

I also have reason to believe the dealer was active in this forum in the past. Good things said about him in forums
                  Gear :
                  2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
                  2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
                  2011 Ibanez SR 500
                  2013 Peavey Bandit 112
                  2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
                  Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

A return option means everything, definitely. As you've mention, the price is great compared to similar new guitars. I'll be anxious to see what info the Fender hotline can give regarding the serial number. If they have no info I take stab at it with my 'Unofficial List' of serials. Best of luck.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                      A return option means everything, definitely. As you've mention, the price is great compared to similar new guitars. I'll be anxious to see what info the Fender hotline can give regarding the serial number. If they have no info I take stab at it with my 'Unofficial List' of serials. Best of luck.
                      Thanks Mudlark, I could have and should have asked for a serial # from the guitar, but at the time in talking with him it wasnt a priority. The axe is for sure post 2006. I couldn't quite make out the # in the picture, a little too grainy. There's another one he has on there with a licensed floyd. #'s on that one seem to be 975xxxx ish
                      Gear :
                      2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
                      2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
                      2011 Ibanez SR 500
                      2013 Peavey Bandit 112
                      2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
                      Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

I really thought this was at a store, one that you visited in person and picked up and played.
                        This changes everything...

First, the DKMG. I, personally, do not like the neck profile on them. I haven't played a Kelly, to know what neck they have. But the DKMG is different than every other Jackson I own or have previously owned. I would suggest that you play one before you buy one. Its actually not a bad neck, but not what I expected when I blindly bought a Jackson. I expect certain things from Jackson, DKMG isn't it. Slap another brand name on it, and I would not be disappointed.
                        Nice guitar, but if I was blindfolded, I would never play it and think it was a Jackson neck.

Next up, the warranty. I can't speak for Jackson dealership agreements specifically, but many manufacturers are putting in terms that do not cover web sales. It protects the local dealers. Why would anyone pay for a 'territory' if you can go into a store and then price shop online? One answer is: warranty service.

Comment

975xxxx should be 2005-06. Numbers are tricky for various reasons, so checking the neck pocket for a date stamp is recommended if you want to be 100% certain.

Comment

Try this # Mudlark 9722391. This # I pulled from a pic of the dkmg he has. Might give us a taste of what to expect
                            Gear :
                            2009 Jackson KE3 Kelly
                            2007 Jackson DKMGT Dinky
                            2011 Ibanez SR 500
                            2013 Peavey Bandit 112
                            2013 Peavey Max 115 ii
                            Digitech GNX 3000

Comment

Oh wow.. maybe older than I thought
                              Gear :