Can you guys help me ID this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys help me ID this one?

I am not able to load pics, but I picked up this Jackson Reverse HS Dinky the other day, and it has a 97XXXXX serial. That is Japan 1997, correct? Anyway, this one only has 22 frets and it has dot inlays. Has 2 Jackson-labeled pickups, a JT-580 trem, and color is metallic dark red. The neck on this one is exactly like a Charvel Model Series neck, which is why I bought it. My other Japanese Jacksons have the 24 fret necks that are thicker and I cannot play them very well. This one is totally different, as I said, Charvel Model Series to a "T." No name on headstock except for the Jackson logo. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Originally posted by guitarforceone View Post
    That is Japan 1997, correct?
    Not necessarily. 97xxxxx can also refer to guitars made in Japan from 2003ish to 2007ish. There was a Japanese JS30 made around 2002 with a licensed Floyd, 22 frets and dot inlays.
    Last edited by Mudlark; 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Another question...

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      Not necessarily. 97xxxxx can also refer to guitars made in Japan from 2003ish to 2007ish. There was a Japanese JS30 made around 2002-03 with a licensed Floyd, 22 frets and dot inlays.
      I am so confused about these import Jackson serials. Anyway, thanks for that info. I've heard of the JS30, but didn't know exactly what it was.

One more question....I paid $249 plus tax for this....I have a feeling I overpaid....what do you guys think? I can take it back since I got it at GC. Thanks again for the help.

Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

If you've already bonded with the guitar you didn't overpay, IMO. Under $300 for a Japanese Jackson in good shape sounds like a fair deal to me.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks Mudlark. I really appreciate your help. In that case, I think I will keep it. I thought it was a decent deal when I found it. I was always under the impression that the JS Series was a really low-end guitar. I guess it sort of is, but I like this one, and it plays really nice. Thanks man.

Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Yes, mass confusion with the serials.
            While not exact, an easy way to remember is:
            in 96 they started the numbers with 96x, and they just started counting from there.
            97x doesn't mean 1997. It means 100,000 units since they started in 96 with the 96x

I have a 96x from 1998 and a 98x from 2010.
            Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-06-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

If it were a JS30DK, wouldn't it be MII? Maybe it's a mutt. Take off the neck and see what markings it has.

Comment

Some were Indian as well. You're right, a mutt is possible since serials/necks can be swapped. Not sure if the specs change between the Japanese and Indian models, though the Japanese models had a higher price tag so I expect something was changed.
                Originally posted by Codex View Post
                If it were a JS30DK, wouldn't it be MII? Maybe it's a mutt.

Comment

Not to sound nit-picky, but there are a few examples of 97xxxxx indicating 1997 but they're not common.
                  Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

97x doesn't mean 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                    Not to sound nit-picky, but there are a few examples of 97xxxxx indicating 1997 but they're not common.
                    I said it wasn't exact...

Hell, the original Jackson serials are all messed up too. And they only had a couple thousand made.

Comment

Thanks Mudlark. I really appreciate your help. In that case, I think I will keep it. I thought it was a decent deal when I found it. I was always under the impression that the JS Series was a really low-end guitar. I guess it sort of is, but I like this one, and it plays really nice. Thanks man.

Dana <~~~

The JS is a low end model.
                      But the Japanese made products are better than the Indian made ones.

Comment

Serials...

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        The JS is a low end model.
                        But the Japanese made products are better than the Indian made ones.
                        Thanks for the info. I will pull the neck on it today.

So, on the serial numbers, I thought that a sure way to know MIJ is if the serials are either 6 or 7 digits long. Other than a neck swap, is this not an accurate way to tell? About a year ago I was asking about this subject, and nobody mentioned the 100,000 units thing after the 96 prefix. I either missed that, or that is new info, yes?

Thanks to everyone who chimed in....it's why I always come back here.

Dana <~~~
                        '85 Rhoads Custom
                        '86 SD Str*t
                        '86 Model 4 (5)
                        '87 Model 1
                        '87 Model 6
                        '88 Model 3DR
                        '90 650 XL
                        '94 KE-3
                        '97 DR Amberburst
                        '97 Dinky BOFlames
                        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

All Japanese numbers I've seen are either 6 or 7 digits. The 7 digit numbers I've seen always start with a 9 regardless of year of production, though there may be some oddballs.

Comment

So, on the serial numbers, I thought that a sure way to know MIJ is if the serials are either 6 or 7 digits long.
                            nobody mentioned the 100,000 units thing after the 96 prefix. I either missed that, or that is new info, yes?
                            The number of digits is documented elsewhere, no need to keep manually reposting.
                            http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/101...-of-Origin-FAQ
                            http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/101...-of-Origin-FAQ

The 100,000 unit thing I said was just meant to be that they go sequentially starting with 96x in 96. 97x is 100k, 98x is 200k... I believe they are in the 99's now.

Comment

Working...
                            X