I probably know the answer, but DKMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I probably know the answer, but DKMG?

I found a DKMG (two knob, EMG silver/gold version) on CL with an asking price of $200. What do you think, should I buy it? It doesn't seem to have a case (just a gig bag), and "needs some love." I don't have any information on what that means yet...

I already have a 2007 DK2M and a 1993 Dinky Reverse Professional (and, incindentally, a Charvel Model 4 and a 1989 Jackson Custom), so I'm wondering if there's any reason to get the DKMG, too? Besides GAS, that is.

It sounds like a good price, and I could probably get it cheaper.

$200 is a good deal, even without a case. The question are: 1) just how much work (or "love") does it need and how much will it cost on top to get it right? 2) do you like EMG's?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

My guess is that my luthier will fix it up for $60, based on all my previous experience... the pictures don't seem to say _too_ much love is necessary, and he's cheap (and good)!

I have no idea about the EMGs, having never played them. I love the pickups in the DK2M (Duncan Jazz and Duncan Distortion, I think), and the ones in the '93 Dinky are fair. But, if they're a set of EMG 81/85, then they're worth half the price of the guitar, seems to me.

Comment

Two knobs indicate 2006ish-2011 model. I paid $849+tax in late 2011 for a new one, HSC included.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I recently picked up a dkmg.
          I do not like the neck profile. Its a sweet guitar, but not really my preference.

The question is how much work does it need. My personal opinion is
          even if you have to put 200 into repairs, you're getting a decent piece. Add in a case and a good initial setup, because I count those separately.

Be forewarned. Piranha inlays, not shark. The truss rod isn't normal.
          And its kinda on the heavier side.

Comment

[QUOTE=pianoguyy;1592159The truss rod isn't normal. [/QUOTE]

What's different about it?

Comment

Its an outie not an innie.
              It functions properly, but you can't use the tool you use for others.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/IMAG0018.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/product_image...renches_sm.jpg

Comment

First I've heard of that (truss rod). Those pictures look normal to me.

$200 is a good deal for a post - 2006 DKMG. These were upgraded when Fender bought J/C with black hardware instead of chrome (supposedly harder knife edges), real pickups (EMG's not Hz's, and real Duncan's). But it lost the afterburner, not really needed with the real EMGs.

Comment

The truss is not a freak show that requires a fifty dollar tool and engineering degree. But its not like other Jackson guitars that give you a wrench that works on every movable part.

I have a 2010/11 (approximated by serial) with black hardware, but chrome knobs. They stand out and look sharp, but it is disappointing that they don't match.

afterburner? Are you talking about the turbo boost pickup that was available on some models?
                  Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-26-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

So.....

I bought it!

I got it for $140, including a road runner gig bag. The "love" is mostly that the tremolo needs adjusting (though barely), and it has no knobs. The fretboard is also dirty, and it's generally kind of dusty, with a few nicks here and there.

It's with my tech now, but expect a NGD in a few days!

Comment

My 2011 has an 'innie', though I should add its a string thru DKMGT...not that it should matter. Edit: Sweet deal, congratulations.
                      Last edited by Mudlark; 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That's an absurdly low price.....Congratulations !

Comment

Even though i would not actively search for another dkmg, there is no way in hell i would skip out on a 140 price tag.
                          Assuming its playable.

Comment

Great deal... Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              Even though i would not actively search for another dkmg, there is no way in hell i would skip out on a 140 price tag.
                              Assuming its playable.

That's kind of how I felt about another Japanese Jackson, but I couldn't say no.

And it's extremely playable. The action was ridiculously low, but ended up buzzing on frets 3-6ish on the D,G, and B strings. But I think a proper set-up will take care of that without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X