Broderick Import: Cheaping out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broderick Import: Cheaping out?

At the risk of starting a shit storm, does it feel like Jackson is being cheap on these? I mean, I really wanted to nab one, but I keep looking at the specs and kind of feel let down when compared to the competition. I mean, a Floyd Rose Special (bleh), rosewood fingerboard (bleh, in this case), straight mahogany body (meh) and made in Indonesia...at that price? It has the real pickups, granted, but...I dunno. Hell, I've seen imports from other lines coming with Korean Floyds (which, bitch all you want, I don't see any substantial difference between them and my German Floyds that makes me wanna upgrade aside from components I'd swap on a German Floyd anyway), Ebony boards, real pickups and maple tops (usually with a flame or quilt veneer) at the same price point or less, and made in Korea from factories with excellent reputations, so...why is Jackson cheaping out?

Perhaps they want to sell more of the Broderick USA's.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Too bad they can't do it more like PRS. The US Tremonti is close to my SE Tremonti Custom, but it's got better hardware and more bells and whistles (not to mention it's made in the US, has better finishes, real figured tops, etc). And that guitar is almost $200 less than this one.

Oh well. If Jackson would drop the price a bit or revisit the specs for this model, I'd throw in. But as it is, I'll pass. I'm just sad they won't do a bit better. Hell, the EVH striped series is more appealing than this.

Comment

Guitar had potential, but at that price it absolutely should have a Korean Floyd and be MIK. Another Jackson fail.
        Last edited by Chad; 11-20-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I don't see that many differences to the FR 1000 and Special. I see more differences with the FR 1000 and the Made in Germany though.

As for the rest, hopefully you would believe that as a big company with the political spotlight on it, FMIC is paying higher wages and sourcing sustainable wood, so has less left over to spend on hardware. Or at least they are spending the money where it counts, on playabilty.

In terms of being Made in Indonesia. Well Indonesia and Bali have a long tradition and history of a very high level of craftmanship when it comes to woodwork, more so than many western countries, certainly the USA. However how this time trodden experience translates to your average worker in the factory is debatable, as eugenics have been proved to be a myth by leftist apologists.

Hell yeah, the bottom line is they probably just want a larger profit margin.

But seriously a veneer top only costs a few $'s, it's no biggy IMO.

Also, harping on about Ebony boards, black ebony specifically. I think you have to accept that there are some things that these big companies just can't do under the table through a fifth party anymore for peanuts, it has to be legit because the leftie apologists are after them. Also they have to please their shareholders.

I know myself, if I want cheap hardwood ply I'm not going to the big retailers to get it. FSC my ass. See my point?

And what's the problem with it being made in Indonesia? What? You don't dig Islamic guitars or something?
          Last edited by ginsambo; 11-21-2013, 05:23 AM.
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I really wish they had some better finish options. I understand how they wanna sell more of the US ones, but seriously, why no straight black or white? Hell, I'll even take it without the binding.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
              In terms of being Made in Indonesia. Well Indonesia and Bali have a long tradition and history of a very high level of craftmanship when it comes to woodwork, more so than many western countries, certainly the USA. However how this time trodden experience translates to your average worker in the factory is debatable, as eugenics have been proved to be a myth by leftist apologists.

And what's the problem with it being made in Indonesia? What? You don't dig Islamic guitars or something?
              I have some guitars Made in Indonesia and don't have a problem with them. But....right, wrong, or indifferent...there is a lower perceived value in the current marketplace as compared to MIK, MIJ, USA, etc.

i.e. it's not the fact that it's Made in Indonesia. It's what they are charging for it considering it is made in Indonesia.
              Last edited by Chad; 11-21-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

i.e. it's not the fact that it's Made in Indonesia. It's what they are charging for it.
                Actually, it IS the combo of made in Indonesia AND the pricetag

Like Ginsambo said: maximizing profits. But like you I'd would only pay that for a guitar from the more
                Prestigious Korean or Japanese plants
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Eh, I see plenty of differences between the 1000 and the FRS myself. And there's a definite market value difference since one (retail) costs half of what the real deal costs. Personally, I swap "crappier" (in my opinion) bridges for real deal Schaller or German Floyds (based on what fits), but the couple of guitars I've gotten with 1000's I just leave alone aside from any components I'd usually swap (namely sustain blocks). They may not be exactly the same as the German bridges, but they're damned close and I've yet to have a problem with them.

As for Indonesian instruments, I have a couple that are fine (one bass, one guitar)...thing is, I paid half of what Jackson is asking for the Broderick. If Jackson backed off $200-300, I'd snag one in a second and swap the bridge. But when they're going into the arena with other reputable builders that are giving more bang for the buck...hell, even themselves. Like I said earlier, just compare the EVH Striped Series to this one. Yeah, different neck construction, but we're talking a bigger name (so a higher price tag from that aspect) with a name brand pickup and a Floyd 1000 (re-badged, of course). And made in Mexico, which has a better reputation (justified or not). I want a Bumblebee EVH and, with some negotiating on the price that I know I can work out with my usual dealers, I'll probably have one in the near future. The Broderick...not so much. Unless Jackson wakes up and shaves the price, I'll sit back and wait to stumble onto a great deal on one.

...Or I'll buy another PRS SE. ;p

Comment

IMHO I'd rather lose the fancy finish and some aethetic details and have a better Floyd.

Comment

The Broderick seems cool, but honestly it's not worth the price. To me, it's just a different version of the DKMG (with obvious differences).
                      I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                      ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                      Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                      Blackstar Soloist HT60
                      Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                      Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Working...
                      X