PS-4 Offered for $50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4 Offered for $50

So my coworker offered me this Performer Series (PS-4) for $50 with case. And I am intrigued about it, but the only problem is, it has a pretty decent crack on the neck at around frets 1-2. Im just curious if you guys feel like this is worth repairing the neck or even worth it at all. I was planning on taking it on as a project for the winter (I live in Chicago winters get tough) but I have no experience with neck repair. Just wanted to get your guys input, and wanted to see if you guys think the neck is too FUBAR and if it would be worth scoring. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

I'd say snag it. Looks like a pretty straight forward repair as long as you take your time. Worst case scenario you swap a new neck onto it later.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Contact Sully here on the forum and he can tell how to fix it properly.
      Looks like an easy fix to me pretty clean break.
      I would buy it for $50.00.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
        I'd say snag it. Looks like a pretty straight forward repair as long as you take your time. Worst case scenario you swap a new neck onto it later.
        This was my logic originally but I always second guess my self. Now im also seeing that its looks like part of the break has come detached from the fretborad. Cause for concern?
        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
          I +1 this, the tuners, locking nut, control knobs and trem in parts is worth $50 in my opinion. You can't go wrong with that purchase.
          I like black and white guitars

Comment

yea.. id pick it up.. you can a) fix it b) get another neck or c) part it and sell it
            GEAR:
            #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
            #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
            #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
            #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
            #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
            AMPS:
            1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
            ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I thought this was about the new playstation.

If the other hardware is in good shape generally it seems like a good deal for a project and as others said, the parts could be used to sell off or in the assembly of a decent mutt.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I bought a Dinky Rev for $50 with a separated scarf joint. I glued it successfully. I posted a thread here about it too showing pics. I will see if I can find it. anyway, I took a drink straw and sucked up some titebond wood glue into the straw, then squished the end of the straw flat and slid it into the cracked wood. then I blew into the straw and pushed the glue into the joint so it had glue all over in there. then I clamped it very tight with those bar clamps with rubber jaws (so it dont damage your frets) I let it sit for 2 days. then I sanded up the back of the neck and re oiled it with gun stock oil. it worked great and has held for like 2 years now. I say buy and try it. I think you can have good results. good luck and let us know how it goes!
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

here's my thread on it.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/121...ighlight=dinky

then after it held for a long time I really sanded the neck down good and re oiled it. there is a pic of the scarf joint on this thread.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/128...ighlight=dinky

Comment

Nice score.

If it was me I'd pick up one of these necks on ebay. Then repair the cracked one and sell it for 30 bus or so to recoup some of the cash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-PS6-...item1e82dc5eac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Perf...item25856250e5
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I've seen Gibson's that had the whole headstock broken clean off and I've seen others guitar necks broken way worse than that. (It's not like any break is a good break) but that ones pretty fixable and not that bad. The scarf joint is where you want a break if you have to have one and that looks like a scarf break to me. For $50 it's a steal. The hardware alone is worth more than that. A few guys have already said this but I'll do the same..... Worse case scenario if you can't repair the neck you either part it out and make a few bucks or you grab a neck from Mighty Mite, Stewmac, Warmoth or you can do what AdRock said grab one of the bay. I would definitely grab that for the price!
                      Last edited by leftykingv2; 11-16-2013, 06:56 PM.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I decided to pick it, and am going to give the neck repair a try. I've always kind of wanted to do some guitar repairs and "rescue" beaten on guitars. This gives me an opportunity to do so. If the repair fails, I still have options as I think a strat head could look cool on it.
                        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

If you guys want I'll take pictures and show the progress of it.
                          Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Originally posted by DK2M92 View Post
                            Hell yeah, a good project is always nice to watch as it comes along. Looking forward to some pics of the progress
                            I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by DK2M92 View Post
                              most certainly.

Comment

Working...
                              X