Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Pro 1990 pickup replacement.

Hi there.

It's been a while since I restored my Warrior Pro.
    I had to change the bridge pickup since the one that it has it was damaged, and I put a duncan hot rails that I had around.
    The hot rails in my opinion sounds better than the kent armstrong, it has more mids and cuts better through the mix and it's more compressed and defined.
    The point is that I'm not 100% satisfied with the tone. It is a great guitar, very comfortable and it plays very well sitting or stranding. I love the neck and the feel of the guitar overall, but I can't find the tone that I'm looking for.
    The hot rail alone in the bridge position sound very good, works well in solos, but it lacks the big thump sound for the rythms and the heavy palm muted riff sound that I like. When I use position 2 (the 2 rails in series), like a humbucker, it loses some clarity and it darkens the tone, the bass is a little muddy and uncompressed, maybe the hot rails and the armstrong do not mix well.

I'm thinking to modify the guitar to put a humbucker there (i'm a humbucker guy, and I'm a H-H configuration guy), but I need some advice.
    I know there are a lot of people that made this mod, and I want to know how it was before and after tonewise, and what do you have in you Warriors Pro right now that works for you.

I been thinking also to put 2 hum cancelling singles, but I don't know what pair could match and give the tone I want.

I play bassicaly metal, with heavy riffs and a lot of palm mute. My gear is a 5150 with a marshall 1939 2x12 with G12T75 celestions.

Thanks for all the opinions, comments and advice you could give me.

Best Regards.

What do you like for a fullsized humbucker? I would try to find one voiced like what you like and go from there. I've seen a few people mod them to have a slanted humbucker in the bridge.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Did you save the original humbucker? I wonder if you could get one of the boutique shops to rewind it. Those slanted bobbins are totally non-standard, though.

Comment

The pickups were not on slanted bobbins (like the Gibson Nighthawk), they were two separate pickups.

My old WR Pro had a JBJr in the front (closest to middle) and a Hot Rails neck in the rear bridge (closest to trem). Running them in series gave me a fat punchy rhythm tone and great lead tones. Individually they were so-so, but both together was great. The HR-N gave the JBJr the balls it lacked, and the JBJr gave the HR-N the mids and highs.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A little more info:

I had them wired to a Strat 5-way (not the Jackson SuperSwitch type), in standard Strat wiring, so position 1 was the HR, 3 was the JB, but 2 was them together. I didn't have them split.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I remember reading of this Warrior Pro, and the guy replaced the bridge humbucker with a normal one. But he took the normal pickup apart to make it fit in the slant. Looked great.

Comment

Only trouble there is the regular bobbins don't have screw-mounting tabs.

If one is careful, one can shave out some of the cavity under the top to fit the tabs of a regular humbucker.

I'd go Duncan Custom Shop, personally. Distortion and Custom with the wire coming out the bottom like the originals.

Comment

Working...
              X