which dinky do i get ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which dinky do i get ????

Ok Guys i have the choice of either a 1993 Dinky Reverse Professional in the stone finish with maple board or the Limited edition DK2M RGF Red Ghost Flame with the maple board. There is not much in price difference between them & can afford either im just trying to work out which would be the better of the two?
    I am wanting to use the guitar solely for 80's hair metal & will probably put a super distortion or JB in the guitar.
    The only real difference i see is the type of body wood, one is basswood the other alder obviously they cosmetically are different in finishes & looks But i like the look of both so thats not a problem i have in deciding.
    I own a Limited edition DK2M White bengal model which i love thats why i want another dinky.
    So if anyone has any experience with either guitar i'd love your opinion or thoughts, The one thing that is playing on my mind is the dinky reverse & the fact it has a basswood body & what it sounds like compared to an alder body Dinky ive always associated basswood with low end cheap guitars but the early 90's pro series were very good so i've heard & japan made & not considered to be low end cheap guitars.

If you can try both, see what is better for you. As for the red ghost flames DK2M line (the one with only one pickup, right?) I recall them having a neck pocket issue, but not sure if it was all of them or not.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tone-wise, I have found basswood to be hit and miss. So if it only comes down to that after you try them I would want the alder....that's just me....
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        If you can try both, see what is better for you. As for the red ghost flames DK2M line (the one with only one pickup, right?) I recall them having a neck pocket issue, but not sure if it was all of them or not.
        Yeah i did see this mentioned on here about the neck problem with the Ghost flame, it has made me wonder now, I immediately checked my white bengal after reading this but my neck joint is perfect.
        Unfortunately i cannot try either guitar out as the stores are 100's of miles away so it has to be online shopping only buy without seen or played yikes lol

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
          Tone-wise, I have found basswood to be hit and miss. So if it only comes down to that after you try them I would want the alder....that's just me....
          Thats very true, ive owned a few guitars made of basswood mainly 540R Ibanez & a DXMG & to be honest i couldnt really tell the difference to other alder guitars i had but the basswoods were EMG loaded & it was full on extreme metal so i couldnt really define anything as most guitars sound the same with this kind of style, now with these two guitars i want them for old 80's hard rock/metal so it wont just be full on metal they will need to sound good at both clean settings,leads & crunchy rhythms & i think thats when i'll hear a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevermore View Post
            Yeah i did see this mentioned on here about the neck problem with the Ghost flame, it has made me wonder now, I immediately checked my white bengal after reading this but my neck joint is perfect.
            Unfortunately i cannot try either guitar out as the stores are 100's of miles away so it has to be online shopping only buy without seen or played yikes lol
            That's a bummer. Maybe someone at the store can set it up and play it to see if there's any issues, or maybe they've got a good return policy if it's messed up if you get it.

Comment

yeah i've seen photos of both guitars very detailed to ithink there is a laquer chip on the Ghost flame which is a pain in the ass, but there will always be something the human eye see's better in real life than a photo, im very OCD with guitar finishes i hate chips & dings drives me mad lol.
              The 93 Dinky looks flawless no issues at all with the stone finish but as i said with it being basswood im not sure yet, Yeah i always check with the stores returns policy, if theres anything wrong with a product it can be returned within 7 days even if the goods are used but i dont think i could send it back if it sounded crap haha they wouldnt accept that as a return complaint

Comment

I hear ya on the basswood. I've never been that crazy about it myself, but apparently the '94 and '95 Dinky Reverse models I owned many years ago were basswood from what people on here have stated, but I could have sworn they were alder. They both sounded great plugged in as well as unplugged, and both had EMGs (81/85 and 85/60).

Comment

Yeah i always thought they were better wood than basswood & even now i cant understand why they never just used alder as they always have on dinky's? I got one of those JDR94's in 94 when they first came out & that thing was really good but i cannot remember what wood the body was? I think it was poplar. I looked at the old Jackson catalogs from 93 & it does say that all dinkys are made of american Basswood

Comment

Some old models were indeed poplar. My '94 Dinky HX is certainly poplar, which is similar in tone to alder anyway. And most of the Model Series Charvels were also basswood (at least the bolt-on models).

Comment

Doesn't the DK have a JB in it anyway? You wouldn't need to do a pup swap there, plus Ive seen the Reverse pop up on the bay considerably more often than the ltd DK2M.

Comment

I have heard that Basswood is cheaper and more abundant than alder and that's why it's used so often. I love my Ibanez RG1550 ML and it's basswood but mind you I loaded the whole guitar up with Duncans. Screamin Demon bridge, Middle Classic Stack and neck Pearly Gate. The V series pick ups were terrible and made the guitar sound muddy with no bite at all. All that being said I do prefer Alder over basswood if I can choose but basswoods not so bad either with the right pick ups. Just my opinion though.
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Some old models were indeed poplar. My '94 Dinky HX is certainly poplar, which is similar in tone to alder anyway. And most of the Model Series Charvels were also basswood (at least the bolt-on models).
                          I think Mustaine's KV1 was poplar correct me if I am wrong. I had a poplar Peavey guitar once that sounded great.
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Yep, the KV1 was also poplar. There were also some versions made with Korina.

Comment

id go with the dinky rev but if it has original pickups you may wanna swap em. the red gf is nice but under bright light looks pinkish(not sure if that matters to you).

Comment

Working...
                              X